New video drivers and YUV2 capture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New video drivers and YUV2 capture?

Do the new marvel drivers support YUV2 capture (under NT)? I'm running win2k right now and don't feel like re-installing another OS to find out, but if it is supported under NT then it would definately be worth my time.

-John

I don't know if the new Video Tools for Win2k have the YUY2 support, but now with VT 1.54 also the win98 support is unusable:
    The green/purple line at the bottom of the screen in not present, but half of the frames are dropped (exactly half because the average frame rate is 12.5 instead of 25)

[This message has been edited by T-rex (edited 20 May 2000).]
    T-rex / Raptor www.videomakers.net
    Italian Editing Video Forum

Comment

T-rex,

Did you run the Matrox HD-Benchmark after installing the new drivers ?

Comment

Yes.The disk that I use for capture has a transfer rate of 11.5 Mb/S.

If I overwrite the new vcap16.dll and rrapi.dll with the old one from VT 1.52 (only this two files), I can capture in YUY2 with no problems (apart the "colored" lines at the bottom of the video)

Using VirtualDub I have seen that the Cpu Usage during the YUY2 capture is normal (less than 10%) and so also the CPU isn't the problem.And also if I set the frame rate to 12 the average frame rate of capture is 4.

The YUY2-capture works on your system with the latest Video Tools ?

Comment

Using the new drivers:

For straight YUY2 captures with AVI_IO I don't have any drops or problems with the RAID0, which consists of 3 striped Maxtor Plus 40's.

Using the single Plus 40 I can't capture without 5-10% drops at 704x480. 352x480 works fine though.

This makes sense since 704x480 requires about 1-2 mB/s more than the single drive can deliver. The RAID0 is another beast entirely ;-))

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 20 May 2000).]

Comment

I think the HD benchmark must have hiccuped, it gave me 49mps on my IDE system drive and 30mps on my capture drive. While I would love for this to be true, I just can't believe it. This was after the new driver and vtools install.

Comment

DrModrid I think that the problem is not related to the Hard drives, because with the VT 1.52 i can capture up to 480x576 in YUY2 with no frames dropped.

I use the italian Version of VT.
              You use the English version, right?
              Can You please send me the files rrapi.dll and vcap16.dll (I think that only these are used by YUY2 capture because overwriting thwse files with the old ones "solve" the problem).

As usual, sorry for my english.

Comment

Update:

The YUY2 capture works correctly in AVI_IO.
                But it doesn't work in:
                Microsoft VidCap32
                VirtualDub
                Ulead Video Capture (and so is not possible to use the Go-Motion Codec in MS6)

Comment

Fyx, did you ever RMA you card for that patterns problem?

Comment

Hmm....

I've captured in all those programs using the new Win9x drivers. MJPeg, RGB and YUY2 natively, MPEG & MPEG2 in Ulead under Win98SE. Haven't had time to try NT4 yet.

You might want to make sure the display is in overlay mode before trying to select your settings. Otherwise they're grayed out.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I think that all the settings are correct, becuase, as i stated before, overwriting the two files (rrapi and vcpa16), with the old ones, withuot rebooting, and naturally using the same settings all works correctly.

Another strange thing, today i've found a NTSC tape, tried to capture it with the VT:
                      Frame Rate set to 29.97, average frame rate, naturally 14.989... (exactly the half).

However, is it true that the colored line at the bottom of the video has disappeared ?

I'm using Win98Se, and Mjpeg and RGB capture work correctly.

[This message has been edited by T-rex (edited 21 May 2000).]

Comment

Me too. Previous drivers enabled me to do direct MPEG1 capture in Ulead video capture by selecting "Ulead VfW MPEG capture", and YUV2 as the video source format. Now I lose half of the frames.

If anyone finds a solution, please...

M.
                        year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

Meek these are my system specs, can you post yours ? So we can find something in common that can cause the problem:

P2-350, M/B Soyo SY-6ba+IV, 128Mb Dimm Pc100
                          Sb Live, 2 IBM DJNA 13.5 GB Hard Disks totally free used only for Video Editing connected to the UDMA 66 Controller, and naturally Matrox Marvel G400.

Comment

I've had more time to play with this.

While I'm not dropping 50% of frames when piping YUY2 to a codec I am dropping more than before. With native YUY2 captures I get no drops at all.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Update:

I've seen with a data rate analyzer, that exactly 1 frame is captured and 1 is dropedd, 1 is captured and 1 is dropped... etc.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X