No announcement yet.

G550 - No video BIOS screen at boot-up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 - No video BIOS screen at boot-up.

After spending a few days cursing my new setup (and Athlon XP 1900 based system w/ Abit NV7-133R mobo that I blamed almost entirely for no good reason), I finally realized why my system wouldn't boot - bad power supply (half-bad - worked, but the additional 4 pin Molex connector which makes up the ATX12V didn't work).

Of course - this was after swapping all sorts of components - one of which was my new G550 card. The system booted just fine with the rest of my config, and a friend's Asus GeForce3 card.

When I put the G550 back - I thought the system went dead again - no BIOS screen. Right before I was going to start cursing (ever since I started building machines, I've been a master with the profanity) - I realized that once the machine got past the video BIOS and into the system POST, it displayed the POST screen at the memory test.

In short - the card works - but doesn't display anything until you get to the system's BIOS (no video card information at boot) - and should you hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to get a warm boot, you get a funny sounding beep (unlike the normal one - lower tone) - and an abnormal delay, before showing the BIOS screen again.

Anything I can do to fix this? Could I have a defective card, or do I need to update the G550's BIOS at all? Or does the NV7-133R (or any nForce based board w/o onboard video) not play nicely with the G550?

TIA for any help,
    -rj

This is normal.
    Matrox cards have not displayed any video BIOS since the days of the Millennium II
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks, Kruzin - if only I had known that a few days earlier, it would have saved me quite a bit of grief!

Just out of curiousity - just how long does it normally stand in this idle-no-boot state? It seems to me that the G550 takes longer than my other cards - then again, it could just be the placebo affect since I'm looking at a blank screen.

Comment

Working...
      X