Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rub my nose in it thread.

I should have listened.

I should not have doubted matrox's ability to pull this off , frustrating the MURCer's no end with my stubborness.

Now that I have been proved wrong, here is your chance to rub my nose in it this once. (along with other skeptics noses)

So, I'm eating hat
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Pictures.

We want pictures of you eating hat.

DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I know you want pictures of me eating hat.

I just havn't decided how to I am going to eat hat yet.

Comment

hey, i think it is okay to be a little skeptic, after all they have failed before(the g800), however, unlike last time, the rumors actually stayed positive, and the beta boys didn´t posted sad smilies all over the place.

and most important: matrox showed the parhelia(or at least displacement mapping at a speed, that is impossible on a G550, and last GDC matrox prefered a slow emulation on a G550 to a faster emulation on the competions cards) at GDC, if nothing else, then that should have convinced you.

as i said: being a skeptic is ok, eating hat(when your proved wrong) is even better.

p.s. im only going to rub it in your nose once, i wont bother you with this forever.
        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Drink a lot of cheap american beer

In front of cute girls.

Comment

Well rugger, after you've taken your first bite, be sure and take a picture. You should have to use the chomped hat as your avatar for a while. Then you can proceed to down the rest of your meal. Happy dining.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You haven't been proved wrong yet...

Comment

While I'm certainly not one of the power users here, I would like to discourage any eating of apparel.

After all, those who believed will experience the righteous euphoria of vindication. Those who doubted honorably will admit as much, and embrace the truth.

Only those who refuse to admit that Matrox has done what they set out to do are worthy of Hutessen.

For instance: Parhelia comes out and can run all these wonderful rendering options with no performance hit, etc, but the GF4 runs at 220 FPS vs 210 for the Parhelia, when both are run in 640x480 with all options off. If anyone still claims then that the NVidia is the gamers choice, well...
                System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

/me hands rugger a hat along with some mustard
                  Hopefully it won't taste too bad
                  -Slougi

Comment

Thanx Slougi

moreau, the situation you describe (220 for GF4 vs Parhella at 210) would only decribe driver effeciency since both cards would be waiting for the CPU the entire time. There is much more to the 3d performance picture than that. 1600x1200 at max details with FSAA (or similar in Parhella) would be a better measuement.

Bin, you appear to be new around here. While I have not directly been proved wrong by matrox themseleves, Matrox have confirmed that something BIG is on its way. And the confirmation pretty much verifies the speculations of the board.

This card will be fast, big and expensive, like all good matrox cards The only thing left to know is just how fast and expensive it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by rugger
                      moreau, the situation you describe (220 for GF4 vs Parhella at 210) would only decribe driver effeciency since both cards would be waiting for the CPU the entire time. There is much more to the 3d performance picture than that. 1600x1200 at max details with FSAA (or similar in Parhella) would be a better measuement.
                      My point exactly.

What I mean is, that those who are obsessed with FPS scores in Quake III, etc. will pick a huge number at a meaningless resolution and ignore the fact that another card can render the same thing at lower frame rates, but with better image quality.

When I first purchased my G200 16MB SGRAM card in, like 98 or whatever, It had by far the BEST direct3d rendering engine available. There was even a site (tom's?) that ran screenshots of the same scene rendered by a number of cards available at the time (starfighter 3d, ati, intel graphics based cards). It was fairly dramatic. I seem to recall that the G200 performed all calcuations at 32bit, then scaled down to the output depth. Anyways, the G200 was clearly superior in image quality.

But guess what else was out there... first there was the Voodoo2, which at 300bucks for one or double for the SLI setup, was clearly the framerate king. Image quality, particularly through the VGA pass through, well, that was another issue.

Then came TNT, which was a big deal at the time. Got great framerates, but in my opinion was nowhere near the quality of the G200.

So, we share the opinion that frame rates are not the important issue. A lot of the criticism gamers have of matrox is that they can get better FPS and 3dmark scores from Nvidia and ATI. They often don't get the same quality as we have with M.

My ire will arise if M releases Parhelia, it is clearly suprior, but the Nvid_, er, afficianados of ather manucaturers refuse to give credit where it is due...
                      System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

moreau, you are 100% correct. I don't mind playing UT at a lower resolution or even lowering the details alittle to get decent frames rates because I know no matter what I still have the best image quality there is. And when I am not gaming, which only occupies about 20% of my computer time, I can enjoy high resolution on a large screen monitor without any fuzzyness.

And it has been rumored that Matrox instead of just having great 3D they have also raised the bar again in 2D.

Joel
                        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Hey rugger,

Thanks for being such a good sport about all this.

Joel
                          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

<i>Feed him to the lions!!!</i> err, I mean, nice hat eating
                            System 1:
                            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                            Epox 8K7A
                            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                            SBLIVE 5.1
                            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                            3Com Hardware Modem
                            Teac 20/10/40 burner
                            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

rugger...

I'm not saying that you won't eat your hat. I'm just saying that it's not announced yet. We wouldn't want you to loose a perfectly good hat for notting. (actually, I knew you would eat it, the first time you said you would...)

And it's not because I don't write often that I don't enjoy reading. I've been reading here for around 5 years...

Comment

Working...
                              X