A Brief History of Matrox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Brief History of Matrox

First, there was the G200, and we knew that it was good. Then, Matrox cast the G400MAX upon the land, and OMFG how great was that? It rocked. We ruled. And there was much rejoicing. But, as the MURCers celebrated, a great darkness fell upon the land. For 700 days, and 700 nights, there was a drought, and Matrox withheld from us their gift of innovation. But then, as our turmoil was at its peak, the announcement came. A new leader had been born, and it was to be called "G550". And truly, the G550 had to be great, as it wielded...... Headcasting??? What the F**K is that? You made us wait two goddamn years for this? Well, you can take your damn headcasting and shove........ but I'm not bitter.

Matrox – The New Testament

Prediction:
    And then the Parhelia came to be. And upon its bus, it carried 256 bits. And lo, it was equipped with multiple shaders of verticies. And the shaders were programmable. That was good. And the Parhelia had an engine. The engine held great power, such that texture and lighting would succumb to its will. But there was still more. The engine could summon triangles. A plethora of them. We’re talking frigging s**tloads of triangles here. Did I mention the triangles? They were plentiful. And truly, the MURCers had found the promised land. Our Z-Buffer runneth over. But that will be fixed in the next driver release.

First there was the G200!?

Comment

Well, ok. First, there was the Impression, Ultima, Millenium, Mystique, Mystique 220, Millenium 2, G100, Rainbow Runner, Rainbow Runner G, and G100 MMS. But there was nothing funny about them.

Comment

I think he was talking about the beginning of Matrox 3D cards

Otherwise the Millennium was the first card I know about and it was good! The best in fact.
        Then Millennium II -> Mystique 170 -> Mystique 220 -> G200 -> Marvel G200 -> G400 -> Marvel G400 -> G400 Max -> G450 -> G450 eTV -> G550 -> Parhelia

Comment

You forgot the MMSs

DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

The Millennium was the first with 3D, followed by the Mystique, Millennium II and Mystique 220 and not forgetting the m3D. Smartass aren't I

Originally posted by Elie

I think he was talking about the beginning of Matrox 3D cards

Otherwise the Millennium was the first card I know about and it was good! The best in fact.
            Then Millennium II -> Mystique 170 -> Mystique 220 -> G200 -> Marvel G200 -> G400 -> Marvel G400 -> G400 Max -> G450 -> G450 eTV -> G550 -> Parhelia

Comment

You're leaving out the m3D. It was not Matrox's chip design but they did market the card.

Joel
              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Re: A Brief History of Matrox

Originally posted by Cheesekeeper
                Our Z-Buffer runneth over. But that will be fixed in the next driver release.
                ROFLMAO
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                  The Millennium was the first with 3D, followed by the Mystique, Millennium II and Mystique 220 and not forgetting the m3D. Smartass aren't I
                  Goddamn, I had nearly everyone of those cards in a home or work machine... except the m3D 'cause that was well err a bit lame!

Millenium -> Mystique -> Millenium G200 -> Millenium G400 Max -> 'Coming Soon'

Each one was bought as soon as I could get my grubby mits on a retail boxed unit - which in the case of the Max was about 6 months - talk about rocking horse ****. I really hope that history will not repear itself in this dept!
                  Cheers, Reckless

Comment

Hey the m3D was cool I had 10 of them at one point

Comment

Yep, and noone wanted to buy them from you ....

DC

Comment

Originally posted by Reckless
                        Each one was bought as soon as I could get my grubby mits on a retail boxed unit - which in the case of the Max was about 6 months - talk about rocking horse ****. I really hope that history will not repear itself in this dept!
                        Amen. Of course, since I was one of those that bought a GF4Ti4600, if it does take that long to become available, it'll make it that much easier to tolerate all you folks in here talking about others eating hats.

BTW, I won't be eating a hat. I never doubted they'd be coming out with something good this time around. However, they could have done me a favor and started the hype machine up about 3 weeks ago, as I was preparing to RMA my Gainward for a replacement that would actually work! (I'd have RMAed it for a refund then. Now I'll have to put it on eBay as soon as the P's reach availability. )
                        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                        Gainward Ti4600
                        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

They did start the hype machine up a few weeks back by a subtle route, shame some people can't put a little more faith in the MURC we only look out for your best interests :P

Originally posted by Snake-Eyes
                          However, they could have done me a favor and started the hype machine up about 3 weeks ago, as I was preparing to RMA my Gainward for a replacement that would actually work! (I'd have RMAed it for a refund then. Now I'll have to put it on eBay as soon as the P's reach availability. )

Comment

i would say matrox started the hype engine themselves by showing it at GDC.

I thought that was a pretty clear hint.
                            This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by TDB
                              i would say matrox started the hype engine themselves by showing it at GDC.

I thought that was a pretty clear hint.
                              Gotta agree with you there. That seems to have been the official start of "leaks", though Haig et.al. had left several clues before that.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X