No announcement yet.

Study: File sharing boosts music sales!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study: File sharing boosts music sales!

We have been hearing two different tales in the past year or so, while the music industry complains of low sales and blames file sharing, studies indicate the opposite. I guess this won't apply to everyone as I know some people that stopped buying music because of the ease of getting music from the net however the real deal is the big quantity of people and its average balance...
    Hundreds of millions of songs may illegally trade hands online every month, but file swapping may actually be causing people to spend more money on music, according to a new research report.

A study released this week by Jupiter Research reports that about 34 percent of veteran file swappers say they are spending more on music than they did before they started downloading files. About 14 percent of heavy file traders say they now spend less on music.

Hope the record companys are reading this!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

They aren't.

They really couldn't care less.

They KNOW that file sharing increases record sales. They simply don't want to give up their ultimate power over distribution methods of music.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

And the other stupid thing they have managed to do:

Raise the preice on a cd with music!!

I can buy a collectors DVD with 34 music videos cheaper than the latest CD with the same group!
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

yeah thats just about right.. i was thinking about buying the pulp dvd.. and the cds were the same price..
        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

I actually concur with the report. I used to never buy CD's...ever. Maybe 2-3 a year. Now that I can listen to the CD before I buy, I can tell whether it's good or only has 1 good song. That way I don't feel jipped when I pick up a CD that I thought sounded cool, but only had 1 good song on it.

Which brings me to a point. I think the biggest reason the recording studios want to get rid of music swapping is because they are affraid no one will buy their crappy 1-hit wonder CD's. People can actually listen to the garbage now and say, "except this ONE song, the rest of this album sucks @$$!" And then they don't buy it. Maybe if the record companies put out albums that were at least 75% good songs, then maybe people would buy more...hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Like I said - currently, THEY have control over what people listen to. Don't think so? They manipulate what you hear from a group, boosting record sales of their pet groups.

They manipulate prices. They manipulate the entire music market.

Their fear of file sharing comes down to a fear of loss of control, and hence a perceived loss of revenue.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

must... boost... music... sales...
              Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

They said the same thing about recording from the radio and managed to put a levy on tapes. Even then it was proven that most people bought the music they taped. Even so they put a levy on tapes. Now we've got CD's that can't be played on computer CD players.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

They just don't get it:
                  It's not music for them!
                  It's a product!
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

And the poor artist gets next to F*(& all for all there trouble.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

its a sad sad music buisness if you look closely.

and i think i buy more cds now that i can get mp3's.. i believe in supporting the artists that i like a lot.. i recently just bought stereophonics , gomez, coldplay, and chemical brothers cds, even though i had the full albums downloaded months/years ago.. and still have them
                      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

By buying the CDs you're supporting the artists? Oh my what an innovative concept... the music industry still has a lot to learn in this area.
                        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by impact
                          By buying the CDs you're supporting the artists? Oh my what an innovative concept... the music industry still has a lot to learn in this area.
                          ....yes....

and go to the concerts i can get to. every little bit helps
                          www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                          X