RTCW/G400 Train Wreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTCW/G400 Train Wreck

So the other week I decided to try the 6.82 drivers. It got me a bunch of hard lockups in RTCW.

Before I go on, here's the specs for the mighty Sanford Box, now in its third year.

G400 SH 32 w/ DH add on
    Celeron 533A @ 800
    Abit BX6r2 @100 (AGP divider @ 2/3)
    Ancient SB16 ISA
    128 MB PC133 RAM @ 3-3-3 since things started crapping out

After searching these forums, I've switched the graphics aperture to 256, which is as far as the BX goes. I used the Matrox uninstall utility to begin with, and have since tried the 6.80, 6.51, and 6.22 drivers, all with the same annoying lockup results. These problems began the minute I installed the 6.82s (upgrading from the 6.51s), but have not gone away since. Therefore, I suspect the drivers have somehow changed a setting somewhere.

Windows 98 SE is fully updated, as is the Soundblaster. RTCW is 1.31, the latest. I've tried using GL extensions in RTCW and not using them. I relaxed the memory timings, changed the memory slot, and backed the CPU off from 892 MHz. I have a floor fan blowing into an open damned case, and the heatsink is properly affixed. It's impossible to test any settings other than "fastest" in RTCW multiplayer because the framerates are too low to play without going insane, but my impression is that it crashes faster the more features I add.

Incidentally, Homeworld is totally fried, with the same hard lockups which require a reset but much more frequently. The 6.82 drivers *look* absolutely gorgeous--I mean there is a noticeable difference in game appearance, but then again the 6.51s played big multiplayer games smoothly in Vegas-flashing black-and-white, which is why I finally changed them.

I know the Sanford box is a museum piece now, but when things work they work okay until I can afford a new system. If anyone can help I'd sure appreciate it.
Working...
X