Linux out of scan range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux out of scan range?

I have a dual operating system consisting of Linux and NT, the NT side works wonderfuly with my matrox g450 for the most part but the linux side dosent, i have finally after months gotten linux to appear on the monitor, i watch it start up and check system but when it is dont it goes blank and says out of scan range. so i cant see anything to even attempt to fix this? How should i go about correcting this problem?? thanks for your time Gareth

sounds like you need to lower your refresh rate or resolution, I am assumming that the Gui is set to start on boot.

what you could try is

ctl alt +
    or
    ctl alt -

this will change the resolution in x,(gui)

or you may have to reconfigure your monitor profile thingy

Comment

Try Marshmallowman's tip, but if it doesn't work, press CTRL+ALT+F1 (or F2-6 if you like that better), and take a look if the system is up at all. There should be a login prompt.

If it is, log in as root. Type ps ax and watch the list of active processes. There should be one named -:0 (or similiar), one named usr/bin/X11/X (or similiar) and maybe one called /var/lib/xdm/authd (replace xdm with kdm or gdm or whatever name your display manager has). Write down their PIDs (Process ID) and kill them one by one with kill -9 PID. Note that this is the unfriendly but failsafe method.
      This should kill your X Server and any display manager you run. Verify that X is down by pressing CTRL+ALT+F7. There should be a blank screen.

Now, and this depends on your Linux Distribution, you can reconfigure your X Server and set it to acceptable values. I am using Debian Woody and i use the xf86cfg -textmode command to configure my X Server, but other distributions may use other tools.

I hope this helped. Regards

Comment

Working...
      X