Damn IBM Harddrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn IBM Harddrive

Ok this is throwing me for a loop...back about 2-3 weeks ago one of my IBM GXP drives "died" on me and I ran the DFT tools and got an error code...well stupid me didnt mark the drives so I took both of them into work and ran the tests again...and guess what? Both drives check out fine with both the simpile and advanced tests. I'm wondering if its a Heat Issue or not..so any other ideas?

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Change out the cables and see what happens.

Oboy
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Well one of my IBM drives made a orrid noise some time back and I discovered that the power lead had come slighlty loose.
      Although against that I had an IBM drive that died on my Via Abit and wouldn't reformat. I took it too work and it worked fine and it's still working to this day on another machine at home.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
        Well one of my IBM drives made a orrid noise some time back and I discovered that the power lead had come slighlty loose.
        Although against that I had an IBM drive that died on my Via Abit and wouldn't reformat. I took it too work and it worked fine and it's still working to this day on another machine at home.
        You just can't get enough of VIA-Abit combos .....
        Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
        incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

How the darn thing got good reviews is beyond me. It's the only motherboard I ever threw in the bin.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

GT,
            You can see the SN of the drives that have been tested & the results, if you look in the DFT log on the floppy.
            Chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Gee.... yet another IBM HDD died. What a shocker

No wonder IBM's getting out of the HDD business.

I finally got tired of being paranoid and removed my RAID's 60g IBM's in favor of some 80g Maxtor D740X's. Now those are some nice, fast drives!!

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, I'm not in the economical situation so i can swap out my IBM GXP 60's in favor for any brand just because I feel paranoid.

I still wonder if HEAT has something to do with the cheer amount of dead IBM drives.....

I imagin that a lot of persons that bought IBM drives never had a 7200rpm drive before and therefore did'nt think of making sure it was'nt becoming to HOT!
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Oboy
                  Change out the cables and see what happens.

Oboy
                  They where checked on my Home PC (which is running my WD digital drives fine now)when I got the error...which was a pretty nasty grinding noise that prevented the DFT tools from finishing up. But when I hooked them up to my work PC to rerun the tests, they checked out fine....go figure.

Scott
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Was it a GXP 75 or GXP60?

the 60 series seem's to have some onboard logic to not get stuck on the same place on the next powerup
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                    X