Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G400 TV - What cpu and processor to buy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 TV - What cpu and processor to buy??

Hi,
    What is the slowest cpu and motherboard I can use with the G400 TV? If I had oodles and oodles of money, I would buy the latest and greatest. BUT I can't. So I want to know what people are using with the G400 TV that works good or just gets by. I currently have 128mb of ram and want more. What is reasonable?
    Thanks,
    Wacko

128 megs is quite reasonable, but having 256 megs never hurts.

As for the workable Marvel system setups; the book says that 300mhz is the lower limit. I'd go a bit faster than this if possible with a Celeron 433, 466 or 500 and compatable mainboard. The price difference these days is trivial.

I'd advise avoiding the Super7 systems as the mainboards for those have inherent design problems. The AMD K6-x chips are great, it's just that they have to live on inferior mainboards.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 19 May 2000).]

Comment

Depends on what you plan to do with your Marvel...
      My opinion is that you only need a high speed CPU if you are into 3D gaming, or if you want to use software DVD.
      If you're only into video-editing a cheap CPU will do (e.g. check my specs)
      AMD-K6-2-300, EPOX-58MVP3C-M,
      Marvel G400, 64MB+64MB(PC100+PC133), Maxtor DM40PLUS 30GB,
      W98 (no SE), currently no overclocking (FSB=100)

Comment

forgot my specs:

------------------

Comment

Hi, MarkD
          you just answered to a question I was quite confused over, namely I will upgrade my AMD K6/2-400, FIC PA-2013 mobo and 64 PC100 with an extra 64 SDRAM but 133Mhz bus freq. (to plan for the future=133 bus)
          Does it really work in combination with the PC100 SDRAM?
          Regards, Fred H.
          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hello,
            If you plan to capture using the mjpeg hardware of the Marvel G400TV then a "slow" processor will be alright. I myself have a Celeron 400 with a Soyo 6VBA+III BX chipset motherboard. The board is "award-winning" though superseded twice over by newer models. If you can still find it, it should be cheaper now than the US$100 I got it for. I actually have only 64MB RAM. My Matrox 6800+ (7200rpm) 20.4 gb disk can keep up even with full frame captures (medium mjpeg quality)at 30fps. But if you plan to use software codecs such as the mpeg4 codecs then a faster processor is called for, maybe upwards of 600 mhz (I'm guessing here). If I try doing this (mpeg4 compression), I can only capture CIF size at 15fps. 30 fps causes my system to hang.
            Hope this helps.
            bg

Comment

Fred H:

sure PC100+PC133 can work together, as long as you stick to the busfrequency of your slowest memory chip, i.e. 100MHz or lower.

Wacko:
              I agree with the others, that as soon as you want some higher level compression, you'll require a better cpu, but for the 'standard' MJPEG compression from matrox, a slow cpu will do.
              If you decide to go for uncompressed capture, and compression later on, then the most important thing becomes a fast and large HD, rather than a fast CPU.

Comment

Just pretty much to confirm most of the above. I've used a K6-2/300 with a Gigabyte Via motherboard which was OK once I'd got the DMA drivers sorted.

I've also used a Marvel with a PII 266 and 96Mb of Ram (with an ADS Pyro alongside too), and currently have it comfortably installed on a Celeron 300 @450 with 128Mb.

If you stay with hardware MJPEG captures then you shouldn't have a problem. If you want to go to a soft MJPEG codec or an uncompressed format then you should be looking at a minimum 500Mhz.

Comment

Thanks A LOT for the input, everybody. I am relieved that I don't have to mortagage the house in orfer to get a system that will work. I am now enlightened. OK, maybe just more knowledgeable.
                  Thanks,
                  Wacko

Comment

Thanks A LOT for the input, everybody. I am relieved that I don't have to mortagage the house in orfer to get a system that will work. I am now enlightened. OK, maybe just more knowledgeable.
                    Thanks,
                    Wacko

Comment

...what about the hardware MPEG2 cards? Do they work in chain with Marvel G400?
                      I don't know nothing about this cards ( )
                      If they works with Marvel G400, do they accelerate (HW) the MPEG2 show on computer by "helping up" the CPU ?

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I don't know Fred, Maybe you should post a new topic. As I am gaining more knowledge, I would like to know to.

Wacko

Comment

Hi!

For what its worth & all that... Just upgraded with one of those new celeron 533 flip chips (FC GPA) & I'd definitely recomend it to anyone interested in saving a few bucks, as long as you're not interested in running dual pentiums.

It's a coppermine chip, supports SSE, and by bumping the bus from 66 to 100, you've got yourself an 800.

Bought mine pretested to run at 800 (an extra $10), and it's been super stable for near a month now of heavy use. I've heard real good things about this new 533 and the 566 too, and so far I can't argue.

luck

Comment

Working...
                          X