Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Bananas!

Hurrah for the great British political system

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

<b><i>"The win comes in the town whose residents are famously said to have hanged a monkey during the Napoleonic wars because they thought it was a French spy." </b></i>

But Labour chairman Charles Clarke said the monkey mascot's success was "a serious issue".

The government might have to think again about the system of directly-elected mayors, he said.

While there had been a positive mayoral result in Doncaster, where the Labour candidate won, "the other end of it is the other guy elected in Hartlepool, the one in the monkey suit, who ridicules the whole system", he said..
    This guy Clarke sounds like he's the real problem here. If the people en masse decide the system deserves to be ridiculed, perhaps it does.. in no small part because of folk like Mr. Clarke.

Comment

Perhaps they ought to think why People voted in a Monkey.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'll take a monkey anyday!
        for non brits, a monkey is a slang word for £50.

Comment

I guess its better than the other monkeys in office.

MadScot
          Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Ant, if a monkey can win the an election over there, then you should be a shoe in.

To win in the States though, you have to be a snake.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

"Populist politics allow for populist solutions and the mayoral idea allows for that above all."

Heven forbid that the winner of a popular election comes to power! You guys want to borrow the Electoral Collage?

MadScot
              Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Ah monkeys. Is there anything they can't do?

Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

RC like they did on those labrats recently

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    Ant, if a monkey can win the an election over there, then you should be a shoe in.

To win in the States though, you have to be a snake.

Jammrock
                    A snake? I've just watched Cripplefight again and I'm quite sure they said you gotta be a retard, not a snake.
                    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

monkeys are funny.
                      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Just wait til I strap 4 wheels onto him
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

4wheel drive monkeys, hehe
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

but would you feel comfortable by the way you will present this experiment to the general public? you need to show respect for the monkey, otherwise I will judge the usefullness of the experiment by that!!!

p.s. in case you wonder about this: the person who came up with this didn't need any alcohol or drugs to do so.
                            Last edited by dZeus; 3 May 2002, 16:22.

Comment

BANANAS??? WHERE!!!!!!!!!!??????
                              Knock knock, who's there?
                              - Mr. Roaster
                              Mr. Roaster who?
                              - Mr. Banana Roaster

Comment

Working...
                              X