Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Video Editing detection Issue

Hi all,
    Can anyone help me out or steer me in the right direction.

I have a problem detecting my video device (Canon DV camera) in a number of software packages (Ulead Video Studio 4,5 &6, Ulead Media Studio Pro 6, Adobe Premiere ect)

The issue is that when I had WinMe installed I had no problems, however as soon as I installed WinXP no detection. The strange thing is that the mickey mouse video editing software built in to XP detects the Camera as Canon DV device and I am able to record to PC.

I have tried updates from Ulead (ver 4) but the other Versions are XP compatible.

Is it possible that XP is taking control of the camera and will not release it to another application? Just a thought.

System Spec:
    PIII933
    G400MAX
    Swann IEE1394 Card
    Canon MV100 DV Camera
    Win XP
    720Mb Ram
    70Gb 7200rpm IBM Hard Drive

If anyone has any information or knows of a fix I would be very appreciative.

Thanks
    Booker

The Swann card shouldn't be a problem as it's based on the excellent Agere chipset (read: Lucent) also used in the DV Wonder.

Lots of existing video editing programs are having problems with XP.

Basically; welcome to the wonderful world of Microsofts you-pay-us-to-BetaTest-our-products program. I won't use XP until there's a service pack addressing some of its nonsense.

MSPro6.5 and VideoStudio 5.x have patches for XP to help correct some of the more glaring problems brought on by changes Microsoft made to the IEEE-1394 support;

MSPro 6.5: http://www.ulead.com/tech/msp/msp_ftp.htm

VideoStudio 5.x: http://www.ulead.com/tech/vs/vs_ftp.htm

Dunno if the 6.5 patchy will work in 6.0 though. VideoStudio 6.0 should be OK.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks for the feed back Dr

This is so frustrating to say the least. There is NO way that I will be using the XP video edit tool and will try and re-install Ulead Video Studio 6. I know I have tried before without any luck.

Great to know that I have a good Firewire card unable to be used on the latest OS

If any other information comes to hand please let me know.

Thnx

Comment

I had a similar problem today which may be related. I'm trying out XP Pro for the first time on an extra computer of mine, and XP had quite a problem identifying the Pinnacle DV firewire card. I never had any problems with Win98SE, but XP took several uninstalls and reinstalls of the card to load the proper Texus Instrument drivers.

Comment

Doc, about Lucent?

Hi Doc,
          You named the Lucent and Agere.
          Do you know something about the Lucent/Agere wireless LAN cards and drivers?
          I have an ORINOCO 5V card in my computer for the wireless LAN and have some trouble with it. My provider couldn't help me (or won't)
          It's not the right forum here, but, with your permission, I'd send you a private message if you have knowleges in this area.

Fred H
          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I hate XP and won't use it personally, but I have to use it at work. I've no trouble with a D-Link 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card in a PCI "carrier" that came with it in an XP-pro desktop (old Dell XPS R400). But I needed updated drivers for both it and my Linksys 802.11b in an HP N5495 XP-home notebook. If ORINOCO won't supply XP drivers you are SOL! Check their website. As far as I know, XP is "wireless ready" but has no correctly working 802.11b drivers built in!

XP-home has crippled networking! No domain logins, no granularity on shares for users basically all or nothing!

--wally.

Comment

Wally,
              Here is my story:
              I’ve got the drivers for my ORINOCO card (802.11b PCMCIA), both for W2K and XP.
              My problem is very strange. When I started the wireless LAN in my computer I’ve get the drivers for W2K and a license # (Say key # 1). It worked fine. Later on I’ve got new drivers to W2K, drivers made by KarlNet and NEW license key, say key ver. #2.
              After a lot of wrong license keys, from the provider, only the third worked. But IE (5, 5.5 & 6) randomly shut down the (dynamic) IP with no connection to the server. Only the computer restart helped, but not always. Setting a wrong lic.# to shut down the connection and than resetting the right lic.# helped, sometimes. Strange!
              For a while ago I’ve got new drivers from KarlNet for XP too with the same license key (key # 2) as for the latest W2K drivers. Now, in XP I’ve got the same random misconnection of the IE to the server. The radio connection worked but no access to the server.
              Reinstalling the old drivers for W2K WITH the old license # everything run well in W2K AND XP too.
              Now I am using the old drivers, old license key without any problem. I am frustrated, that’s all, and that's why I ask.
              I didn't get any help from my provider. He says that the new drivers work on other machines, period.

Any ideas?

Fred H
              It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
              X