Games that will bring the fun back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games that will bring the fun back

I'm starting a new thread just to not bring this one too much off topic before it really bagins...

Most games in the near past have been disappoining, fun-wise, I think. Almost none of them were really innovative, and very few had a gameplay that was simple to learn but hard to master. They just lacked that special feeling older games seemed to radiate.

But maybe there's hope?

Post the games you're looking forward to, and maybe why (and why they could maybe fail to meet your exspectations).

I'll begin:

Warcraft III - because warcraft was good for it's time, starcraft is still one of the best RTSes. Diablo 2 was boring, but maybe the RTS team can pull off another starcraft

Master of Orion III - Number one was just GREAT. Number two made me play many, many hours, although it was a little too transparent Number three is of late plagued by personal issues with quicksilver software, staff cuts resulting from not being able to meet the projected release date, and features getting cut out because of the same.

UT2 - UT2003 is just a stupid name GREAT graphics, hopefully the same good gameplay I know from the half hour I played the retail version of UT and some hours I spent fighting bots in the UT1 Demo.. But I doubt it would run on my system and I really don't think I'm good enough for playing against humans

UFO: Aftermath - Little is known about this, but it's named UFO and thus carries a heavy burden - don't know enough about it to say anything more, though

Jagged Alliance 3 - will never come

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

I am really hanging out for OMF BG, (one must fall battlegrounds)

its a 3d fighting game with all the trick moves, but you can fight more than one opponent, It sounds quite innovative in that respect, I hope the controller setup evolves well form the old omf 2097.

Comment

OMF 2097 was a classic.
      Actually Epic had a few classics, I still fondly remember Tyrian and Jazz.

My best gaming times were the days of the Sega Mastersystem (?) even though I didn't own one.
      The days of archon, wonderboy, gauntlet, street fighter, altered beast, outrun, afterburner and all those good old arcade games.
      Damn, I still remember that huge machine they had for Afterburner...

/me misses the old days

Comment

yeah gauntlet was cool, but I think archon would be just about due for a new version.
        Imagine it, nice board game with your beasties...then straight into uptdated 3d bout. Chess meets unreal tournament 2003/omf

Comment

Games that are definitely arriving that I'm looking forward to:

Warcraft III: I've played the beta. This game rocks! They need to balance multiplayer better, maybe implement some unhackable rankings so newbies don't get slaughtered every single time, but by God, this game ROCKS.

Neverwinter Nights: Baldur's Gate... online... with other people... {anakin} YIPPEE! {/anakin}

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

What's wrong with Diablo2?
            That game is the one I play most nowdays.

Warcraft III:
            Haven't they made almost every race NPC's?
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Re: Games that will bring the fun back

Originally posted by az

UFO: Aftermath - Little is known about this, but it's named UFO and thus carries a heavy burden - don't know enough about it to say anything more, though
              oh don't remind me of the UFO games they stole so many hours of my life 10 years ago or so
              Last edited by thop; 2 May 2002, 06:35.
              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Well I've seen a preview of UFO: Aftermath and it is a bit different that it's predecessors. Heh, don't worry, it looks really promising, it's just... different.
                Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I really don't think I'm good enough for playing against humans.
                  I'm not either but I play anyway just for fun. And it is a good way to blow away a couple of hours without realizing it.

I'm looking forward to UT2003 because based on what I have seen so far I'm going to become some major fraq bait while I'm admiring all the new graphics. I'm also looking forward to Free Lancer created by Chris Roberts, the creator of the Wing Commander, and Privateer series. Star Trek's Bridge Commander looks like it will be a pretty cool game.

One thing I can say for sure is that the next generation of games are taking us to a new level of graphics and there is only one card that will be ready for it.

Joel
                  Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                  Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Most of that was just rumors or jokes, you can play Human, Ogre, Night Elf, and Necromancer. I'm on the beta myself, and other than multiplayer balancing issues, it looks pretty good.

Originally posted by Technoid
                    What's wrong with Diablo2?
                    That game is the one I play most nowdays.

Warcraft III:
                    Haven't they made almost every race NPC's?

Comment

I think the one I'm most looking forward to is Grand Theft Auto 3. I've never played it, or even seen it on the PS2, but from what everyone says, it's a lot of fun. The PC version is shipping towards the end of this month. Right now, I pretty much only play Diablo2 (my level 71 Paladin named SchmegHead kicks some serious ass ), so I'm due for something new.
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

DUNGEOn SIEGE - That game is a blast! And if I ever get time to play it again, it'll be a miracle! Need a beefier video card to pump out any decent frame rates on it though *cough*

WarCraft III - Have a beat copy of it. It's fun to play, but until the final balance is done I'm laying off it for now. Can't wait for the single player game so I can learn the system better.

Counter Strike: Condition Zero - Nothing like getting a group of friends together to save the day in coop mode.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I vote for "Rick Dangerous".
                          Oh, and of course "The Great Giana Sisters", "Who Dares Wins", "Commando", "Gyruss", "Maniac Masion" and "Secret of Monkey Island"...
                          Last edited by Indiana; 2 May 2002, 10:27.
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

indiana: don't start with the old school stuff or we will never end this thread
                            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

M.U.L.E., Starglider 2, Shadow of the Beast, Dungeon Master, Counter-Strike (before it became too popular and got overran by cheaters)...

Comment

Working...
                              X