Wheres the Fun gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheres the Fun gone?

I was just thinking about this with my last post on the Crystal Ball Form. I remeber back in late 1998 putting together my then new Celeron300A system with a G200 Marvel and a Voodoo2 SLI setup. The First new game I got for it was Halflife....boy did that game rock. Then I remember getting into Unreal Tourment a couple months later and playing on Matrox's Game server.

Fastforward to this past Fall....I got my new setup and shit...I still haven't found any really good games to play on it. To tell you the truth for the most part most games have been pretty lame since then....anyone else agree?

SCott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I think that RtCW, JK2, and MoHAA have been pretty sweet.

Comment

i liked RtCW quite a bit, but surprisingly only the demo level they released a few months earlier. i played it a lot. i bougth myself a GF2Pro especially for that, which was then sold and my G400 got back in when i got the retail game i was not so excited anymore.

i am waiting for UT2, and the parhelia seems to arrive just in time. otherweise i would probably not buy it cause games that keep me gaming for a longer time are pretty rare and i dont see any on the horizon except UT2 (UT was the last one before the RtCW demo). hope the parhelia will survive U2 and D3.
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
        I think that RtCW, JK2, and MoHAA have been pretty sweet.
        I would have to say MoHAA and RTCW where pretty good, but its more less the same thing...Halflife was ground breaking for a game...damn I remeber playing it and it sucked you in and didnt let you go...like a good book

I would have to say Halflife rates with Civ for being one of the best most addiciting games ever made....
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I clearly remember playing Diablo 1 for nights on end months and months on, being absolutely stunned by beautiful, fitting graphics (even though they were not state-of-the-art, I didn't care), creepy, crystal-clear sounds, absolutely beautiful music, always telling myself that I'd go to bed after the next level up, after I found my next spell book, at the next stair... only to go down one level further. The great german Diablo community in Diablo Retail DEU-1 back then did a GREAT deal to make me addicted to this game. Diablo was the game that got me interested in the 'net, brought me many a fun hour playing, chatting, and meeting people in real life I knew from chats - eventually even meeting the woman I'm together with now for almost two years. It was a great time with an absolutely great game. Then, some time after I had lost interest in Diablo, because it got repetitive, and because most nice people lost interest, too, Diablo 2 came out and I bought it as soon as it was available. It had everything: better graphics, cool lighting, new, more, more varied monsters, character classes, items, spells, skills, quests, and maps and yet - it was kinda boring. The best thing about Diablo 2 was the stress test, really - feeling newbie again felt good (Diablo just wasn't the same after I knew Jarulf's Guide, and Diablo 2 had the arcane sanctuary from the beginning on, leaving no real surprises because I'd all seen it on screenshots and read about it before...)

The most fun games I played lately were Fallout 2 (until a bug made my car disappear and I didn't want to replay the whole damn game), Jagged Alliance 2, Starcraft with my girlfriend, and lately Septerra Core.

Gaming was more fun in the past though.. maybe I'm getting old with my 20 years

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Oh the UT demo I really liked - haven't played UT retail cause my puter wasn't fast enough and right now I can't find it anymore

And I really don't understand what people find so great about halflife...

AZ

Comment

Uh maybe I should shorten my posts a bit or go sleeping or both... sorry, brain is on standby..

AZ

Comment

az: thanks for reminding me of starcraft. i loved it. that was the first game i played on the net with my 56K modem
                no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Yeah, I'm trying to beat Brood Wars. I gave up last time.

One FPS that goes very unrecognized is System Shock 2. I got it out of the bin for $10, but man... You have a lot of control over your character (strong RPG elements for an FPS. Skills, physical attributes, etc), and the game itself knows how to freak you out. Play it at night with the lights out. More than once the game scared me so much the hair on the back of my neck shot up.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I would have to say Halflife rates with Civ for being one of the best most addiciting games ever made....
                    Damn I forgot about Civ. I got Civ3 recently and I just couldn't stop playing.

Comment

A few years ago I was playing Civ for 14 hours straight. Diablo (1 & 2), Unreal (and UT) and very few other games made me come close to this crazy feat of disconnecting from the rest of the world.

Lately I'v been playing Civ3 (not too much really) and Worms (against my GF) on my PC, but I don't play on it as much as I did before. I use it mostly for Internet and MP3.

Since I got my Dreamcast I've been playing mostly SoulCalibur (sometimes with my GF) and now CrazyTaxi 2.

It's like some of the magic in solo games is gone with all the new 3D effects and stuff.
                      The last true "magical" solo game that I played was Final Fantasy VII. Nothing touched it ever since with Final Fantasy VIII coming close.

I've been visiting www.theunderdogs.org to revisit some of the old classics and it's funny but they still have the "magic" as opposed to most of the new games out there. Maybe it's nostalgy or maybe I'm just getting senile, but games aren't as good as they used to be. As a proof, I still enjoy playing the good old ones pretty much.

I hope the new Elder Scrolls will be as cool as Daggerfall. Meanwhile, I'll play on my Sega and use my PC for internet, MP3, some UT and old games.

BTW, if anyone knows where I can buy Final Fantasy (PC) online (with international shipping) give me a word since I lost my copies and I'd love to replay it.

Comment

Anyone remember the old adventure games Full throttle, Sam and Max hit the road, Manic Mansion II (Day of the tentacle), Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, etc. They were all just great. Sam and Max was just an awesome game.
                        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront
                          Sam and Max was just an awesome game.
                          Yeah, well I've got more hair on my fuzzy little BUTT than you do on that hollow country head of yours!!!

Yep, after Quake came out I've only liked two game genres... Driving and graphic adventures. And since graphic adventures are pretty much dead now, I only play the occasional driving game. The last good graphic adventures that I remember are Escape from Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight 3 and The Longest Journey.

The only new adventure game that I know of that might be worth buying is Simon the Sorcerer 3D, which was finally released a couple of weeks ago.
                          Last edited by Tempest; 2 May 2002, 10:12.

Comment

Wow I just remembered that I forgot Larry 1,2,3,5,6 and 7 Old leisure suit Larry.

Going to dig up some old CD's
                            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Serious Sam was extremly fun playing it with 4 other ppl in the same room with the lights out and the sound up really really loud on the hardest setting. but i dunno by myself it wasnt as fun
                              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                              X