Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia has Nvidia Scared!

Taken From HardOCP.com

The new chip will be manufactured on Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.'s latest 0.13-micron manufacturing process, Huang said. Huang did not reveal the name or specific features of the chip, but did say it was a fundamentally new architecture from the GeForce 4 Titanium introduced earlier this year. "It is the most important contribution we've made to the graphics industry since the founding of this company," Huang said

Link
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Well NV30, R300 and 3DLabs' new consumer card have ME pretty scared
    I fear that Matrox Graphics section will be crushed by its competitors because of their aggressive pricing and features such as hardware support for the Microsoft's Corona technology.

Hey, it's 4 AM here, maybe I should try catching some sleep?

Comment

Sleep is for chumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest
        Well NV30, R300 and 3DLabs' new consumer card have ME pretty scared
        I fear that Matrox Graphics section will be crushed by its competitors because of their aggressive pricing and features such as hardware support for the Microsoft's Corona technology.

Hey, it's 4 AM here, maybe I should try catching some sleep?
        Nah I wouldnt worry about it...too much...Matrox should have at least 6 months or so to have the market to itself. I figure a press release in a few weeks and we'll see the cards Mid-Summer. The other cards shouldn't hit the market till late Fall or early winter.

As for them getting crushed...I don't think that will happen...from the Rumors going on here, the new Matrox card will be out in a couple flavors and the 32/64MB Verisons should be priced with the compitation and other rumors have said that the way it uses its memory having a 64 vs 128MB won't matter too much when it comes to performance.

The Big bad 128/256 MB Pro Verison will cost a small Fortune, but it will flatten out any card on the market now I would assume. I figure the 32/64MB verison will be at least as fast as whats out now in the worst case. I'm willing to pay about $600 for a 128Mb verison myself...if it does flatten everything out there by a wide margen.

Scott
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

every piece of hardware will become obselete sooner or later. i think the parhelia (even the smaller version) will survive the next generation of cards (rumour has it that the parhelia is already the 1st card of the next generation) and it will probably be sufficient to play all games (thinking of U2 and D3) at 1024x768@32bps with 60FPS+ for the next 1.5-2 years, or so i hope.
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

If anything, I wonder what took nVidia so damn long. They've been milking the GeForce line for a long time. It's about time they had another architecture ready. After all, if a "small company that can't afford R&D" can do it, nVidia had better be able to as well.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Despite Matrox's size they have a reputation for coming up with new inovations when the Market has gone stale. All companies hit a rut where for a period of time they may just "Milk" the existing architecture.

But, timing is everything and 2002 will be a big year for Matrox.

<FONT SIZE=4>... Say Umf !!!!<SUP>tm</SUP>...as you take a bite outa that hat...
              <FONT SIZE=1><SUP>tm</SUP> courtesy of ALBPM aka Darth Mahl [MU] and Umfriend<FONT SIZE=2>
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

But, timing is everything and 2002 will be a big year for Matrox.
                i just hope that they can avoid the g400 fiasco, and get the boards out quickly, so people don't just wait for the next big thing, like what happened with the geforce
                Dell Inspiron 8200
                Pentium4m 1.6
                640mb pc2100
                64mb gf440go
                15" uxga ultrasharp
                40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

Working...
                X