Mediocre Fasttrak Performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediocre Fasttrak Performance?

Is it me or do these stats look a little wimpy?

Sandra 2000 sez:

Drive C: (Maxtor 17 gig UDMA33)

Random read: 4 MB/sec
    Random write: 5 MB/sec
    Sequential read/write 14 MB/sec

Matrox benchmark sez 8.5 MB/sec average

Drive D: (Dual Maxtor 30 gig ATA66 on Promise Fasttrak66)

Random read 6 MB/sec
    Random write 11 MB/sec
    Sequential read 23 MB/sec
    Sequential write 21 MB/sec

Matrox benchmark sez 12.5 MB/sec average

I had the Matrox benchmark for the Fasttrak up around 19.5 MB/sec average once but I can't find where I wrote down the tweaks I used! (Someday I gotta get organized!)

The rest of the system:
    Athlon 1200
    Abit KT7A
    256 MB PC133
    Marvel G200 AGP
    SB16 ISA
    CDRW as master on secondary IDE controller
    Win98SE
    PD 5.41
    VT 1.52

Otherwise everything runs nice and stable, no dropped frames, unless I try capturing using YUY/Huff.

Any good tweaks to recommend?

Kevin
    Last edited by KRSESQ; 1 May 2002, 17:55.

1. make sure that write verification is turned OFF on Maxtor drives of ATA100 or ATA133 design. This is on by default on new drives and is supposed to turn itself off after 10 power-ups. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. Maxtor has a utility to manually turn it off on their download page. Look for WVSET.EXE. Turning off WV ups performance considerably.

2. Make sure you install the FastCheck tool that came with your Fasttrak and choose the option for it to run at every bootup. Once installed go to the Options page and turn OFF the S.M.A.R.T. feature (which is ON by default). S.M.A.R.T. slows down the array by constantly checking the drives status. Speeds should increase significantly by turning it off.

3. On Fasttraks other than the TX4; if you are running a two drive array make sure they are NOT on the same cable. Otherwise the drive on the master connection (end of the cable) will prevent simultaneous interleaved writes to its partner, thus slowing down the array as a whole.

4. Speaking of cables, note that I mentioned that the end cable connector is the MASTER. This is a mistake a lot of people make, especially with ATA100 and ATA133 drives. IT DOES MATTER which connector you use for which drive. While the drive will work on the opposite connector, it may not work at peak performance.

In the case of a single drive connected to a cable it should be configured as a MASTER and put on the end connecttor.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 May 2002, 18:31.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

In the case of a single drive connected to a cable it should be configured as a MASTER and put on the end connecttor.
      OK, here is a question for you. In an effort to clean up my case I cut the master connectors off of the cables (all I have is the slave connectors) to shorten them. I only needed about 6-8" of length and the excess was just a mess. I have noticed that my throughput does not seem to be as fast as I thought it should be.

What is the difference between the 2 connectors? I always thought that they were the same pin out.
      WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Aha! One of the mysteries of electronics, called characteristic impedance and ground loops. Have you ever wondered why a 40 pin connector should have an 80 conductor cable?

The answer is because high-speed switching requires clean signals. In order to achieve this, it is first of all necessary that the inductance/capacitance ratio is constant. This is done by inserting a ground wire between adjacent signal wires. This produces a cable with a finite characteristic impedance. If the far end is correctly terminated with a resistor of the same value, the signal travels up the cable, close to the speed of light, and that is that. If the termination does not have the same resistance, the signal will be reflected back and this can have two effects: the returned signal, typically a nanosecond or so later, may cause the state of the switch at the originating end to change, depending on the amplitude of the reflection. Worse, electromagnetic radiation may result and cause neighbouring conductors to pick up crosstalk which would be interpreted as a different state: result? Chaos.

Now, if the intermediate ground wires were connected at both ends of the cable, they would form closed loops, which would have inductive signals induced in them from the inductance of the signal wires, and a current would flow round the loop. This would upset the characteristic impedance and the crosstalk suppression. Result? Chaos.

I have not actually taken the connectors of these cables apart to verify what I'm about to say, but I believe that there is at least a 98% chance it is correct: The logical grounding for the intermediate wires is inside the blue plug. Only one single ground wire will be connected to the black plugs, so that no loop can be formed. The single ground wire connection is probably one of the two outside wires.

Therefore, if you cut off the blue plug, the 39 intermediate wires will be floating. Result: impedance mismatching and probable chaos. At the best, the system will assume it is not an ATA connection.

I would guess that if you cut off the end black connector as close to the middle connector as possible (flush with the connector body), making sure there were no short-circuits, it would work OK. As Doc says, if you have the end black connector there, but unconnected, you will have an unterminated stub and this will also cause reflections, albeit more attenuated. You must plug the end connector into your master drive, but I'm reasonably confident that it does not matter whether it is the original end one or the cut-down end one. If my hypothesis is correct, then the most important thing is that the blue connector be plugged into the m/b or RAID board.

Sorry if I've gone too techie.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

In addition to what Brian has noted each connector has a pin absent on the other. These are mainly used for cable select, but there are other signaling considerations as well.

Another thing you want to avoid is using the old 40 conductor cables witih dives rated at ATA66 and above. These drives require 80 conductor cables, which have a ground for each signal wire (as noted by Brian) as well as additional signaling absent in the 40 conductor cables.

40 conductor cables should only be used with ATA33 and ATA16 drives.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 May 2002, 07:48.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Brian,

Good explanation, a little in depth, just how I like them. When I did cut the cables, it was with a razor, right at the base of the connector and I did make sure there were no shorts. Being a little on the anal side in most cases, I wouldn't have used it if I thought there was a achance of a short. I am not rich enough for that game .

I am using 80 pin cables here, just wondering how much of a difference there is between the actual master and slave connector. I can probablyu scrounge up a few cables to do a little comparison testing. It would give me something to do this evening.
            WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Update:

No luck so far. Stats remain more or less unchanged. I should note that the buffered read/write speed for the 17 gig is 21 MB/sec, and on the RAID the buffered read time is 33 MB/sec and the buffered write time is 20 MB/sec. It still doesn't prevent dropped frames using anything other than Vid Tools for capture. Suppose I should count my blessings.

Kevin

Comment

HELP...

I replaced the cables and still have no luck. throughput seems to be about half of what it should be. I have 2 WD400 (40G) HD s and made sure that ATA100 is enabled. I also have a single WD600 (60G) for my system drive on the MB IDE controller. IT is actually faster than the RAID system.

Does anybody have any ideas? I tried swapping slots and rebuilding the array in different configs, played with the PCI utilization slider, made sure that SMART is disabled and played with the write buffer. I also disabled my firewire card and removed all of my USB devices. No improvement.

I am at a loss of ideas now. Anyone have some suggestions?

Comment

Sciasia

No comfort for you ... but join the club! I have exactly the same problems. Maybe we should rename Fasttrak as Snailtrak :-( In my case, I've a TX-2 striped array with 2 Maxtor 60 Gb 7200 rpm platters: it is barely faster than the 30 Gb 5400 rpm C: disk and does cause drops. I found a marginal improvement by reducing the PCI usage to about 60%, which makes me thing that the bugger is a bus hog, far worse than Live! I even replaced the Live! out of the machine and put in an SB16, thinking that two hogs may be worse than one, but that made no difference, whatsoever. There is no IRQ conflict (or any other) on the machine.

I conclude that, at least as far as my machine is concerned, Snailtrak simply does not live up to its Promise

Your machine is totally dissimilar to mine (PIII/450, Intel chipset, 384 Mb 100 MHz SDRAM, Bravo Baby m/b, SB16, 3Com network, Marvel G-200, Mitsumi CD drive, Pioneer AO-3 DVD/CD burner), to the extent that we have nothing in common other than a Promise card.

Comment

Brian

What OS are you using these days? I wonder if it could in fact be a WinXP issue as was mentioned earlier. If that is the case, I wonder why there aren't more reports on it. As far as I know others are getting great performance from their Promise RAID controllers, but these days the majority are using the MB's with built in controllers. I doubt that there could be much difference between the two, I imagine it is pretty much a Promise controller just hardwired to the PCI bus.

Is anybody using WinXP with a Fasttrak 100 successfully?

Comment

AH! Sorry to disappoint you, mine is on WIN98SE (I use Marvel G-200 in hardware mode).

Doesn't XP require Dynamic Disk to get it to work properly?

Comment

I know you don't want to hear this, but I have both FT100 and TX4's running on my XP betaing systems. They're slightly slower in XP, but certainly are not slouches.

The 4 drive Maxtor D740X array is benching at 98 mb/s sequential writes in both the SANDRA and the RT2K benchmark and about 94 MB/s sequential reads (Win2K).

WinXP shows about 90 mb/s writes and 88 mb/s reads.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 May 2002, 10:45.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well with 4 drive arrays, you are about double of what I am benchmarking with my piddly 2 drive array. So that means that it should be operating properly now.

Sequential read 55mb/s

Sequential write: 41 mb/s

About right?

Comment

Probably as fast as those poor l'il WD's can go

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Huh! Sandra gives me best scores of
                              Seq. Read 19 Mb/s (which is bloody awful)
                              Seq. Write 43 Mb/s (which is acceptable)
                              Av. Access 6 ms (which ain't bad)
                              Index 18384
                              The buffered read is 149 Mb/s but the buffered write is 42 Mb/s.

Promise RAID 0 striped on 2 Maxtor 60 Mb 7200, no partitioning. The daft thing is I'm getting drops on capture, not on playback. Does this mean that it is using the buffers?

Win98SE, PIII/450: 384 Mb RAM. Marvel G-200, SB16 ATA.

Comment

Working...
                              X