Backing up video files to CD-R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up video files to CD-R?

Split the files into 650MB chunks with Virtualdub, write the files to individual CD-R's and transfer Virtualdub version too. Then when you want to retrieve in future do the reverse.
    NickT

Backing up video files to CD-R?

Has anyone found a good backup software for backing up video files to CD-R? Most software out there will let you just stick the files on the CD-R which means you're limited to 650 or 700MB. Many video files and especially projects are larger than this. Most CD-R backup solutions seem to focus on imaging your harddrive, but I don't want an image of my drive, just backups of certain files. And ones like Adaptec Take Two don't even work for most people.

Does anyone have any recommendations for backup software that will automatically span files across CDs? I could use something like ARJ to split the files before writing, but I don't have enough space and it's very cumbersome to do so.

Basically I haven't found any software that works like tape backup software but for CD-Rs. Since Iomega stopped making Ditto drives, tape backup seems to be uncommon except in the office with expensive drives and tapes. I don't know anyone that does regular backups on their personal computers anymore.

NTI Backup Now seems to claim to do what I want, but I haven't heard much about it. www.ntibackupnow.com is the site, for anyone interested. The demo is limited to only 200MB, which is far below what I would want to test with. Currently I have 30GB I want to backup.

Comment

I use the MSPro "Package" function to move all the components of a project into a single folder. In fact most times I contruct my projects like this from the get-go to save time.

Once that's done I back the "Package" folder up to spanned CD's using Avantrix's BackupPlus. You do need a CD packet writing program like DirectCD to do this, but these are often bundled with a CD burner. HP bundles DirectCD with their drives.

BackupPlus works like a charm and there's no need to split the files up. To re-edit or use components from the package I just restore those parts I need.

http://www.avantrix.com/

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 22 May 2000).]

Comment

Someone told me, sometimes that he backs up to an 80 Gb data tape. Not bad. Have you any 80Gb tape ? I don't. So it's not a solution (for me).
        I use to convert my video files from max resolution 704x576 PAL, Matrox MJPEG to 352x288 PAL, using Virtual Dub and MPEG4v2 compression. A 2 Gb file could be copressed to about 400 Mb. Compressing the audio with MP3 reduces it with an extra 30 Megs. But it isn't neider a solution, but an idea. The MP3 compression gave me an other headeache, namely I couldn't re-edit the sound track in MSP6 without converting back the audio track to .WAV.
        Split the files into 640 Mb is a solution, but 2 Gb = aprox 15 min video in max resolution needs 4 CD-R and you can't play back the video from CD, but it's "a" solution anyway.
        MPEG 2 is another, if you have enough CPU power.
        Has anyone a cheap and beter solution? Let us know it
        So, I see, Doc posted, for 3 min ago a fine solution. I'll try it. Thanks Doc

[

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 22 May 2000).]
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Wintha--The problem with this solution is that if I split the original video files, the project will no longer work. I should've been more clear about this. It is also very cumbersome to break up 30GB of video and burn them to CD with regular CD-R software.

DrModrid--The price seems right on this software! I'll check it out. Unfortunately I can't package to a single dir because of my multiple drives, but I don't think I should have a problem relinking files later.

Since this software is dependent upon other packet writing software, I wonder if simpler software like WinZip or WinRAR would also be able span their archives across discs. The thing that would concern me is that they may not be aware they're writing to a CD-R and may put temporary files on the CD-R. I don't have CD-RW capability, so it might run out of space thinking that space should be freed up. Have you ever tried these archivers for this purpose?

Fred H--I found another software called Veritas Backup Exec. www.veritas.com. It's more expensive than NTI Backup Now, and used to be Seagate Backup Exec, but they both seem to be pretty similar products, working with CD-R drives in the manner that tape drive backup software works.

Comment

Working...
          X