PDA

View Full Version : Another Interesting Parhelia Quote From Haig (Drivers for Parhelia)

pgde
26th April 2002, 17:31
Obviously the annoucement date is getting close:

Original Question from Robin B:
posted April 26, 2002 03:37 PM

It`s the drivers and hardware working allright or have you fond bugs that will delay the anouncement on the new card?

Answer from Haig,Moderator:
posted April 26, 2002 03:41 PM

Both are working fine. (bold added by me)
------------------
Haig
Matrox Graphics
Technical Support Manager

See Click here to see the thread (http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum8/HTML/001089.html)

maharajah
26th April 2002, 18:22
OK, maybe not my first born, but definitely my neighbor's first born child for a Parhelia ;)
I'll even throw in my Millenium 2MB I still have in a working machine... nah, just the kid :alien:

Wombat
26th April 2002, 18:25
Nothing's obvious when it comes to Haig. He doesn't lie, but he loves to tease you guys.

Umfriend
27th April 2002, 10:06
No way this means the G450MMS and drivers are working fine?

Umf

Greebe
27th April 2002, 23:11
left field... what are you saying Umf?

Rags
27th April 2002, 23:17
Originally posted by Greebe
left field... what are you saying Umf?
That he's a moron? :p

Rags

Umfriend
28th April 2002, 05:27
Greebe, I'm just wondering whether anything Haig does so, pertains to things Matrox has already announced, like the G450MMS being real expensive, the card+drivers working OK, and it having been shown off to some ppl, but still under NDA.

In my mind, all these 'hints' that seem to actually mean something, might just pertain to G450MMS (or even trickier, to G450MMS as well.

Umf

added this:
And that I'm a moron too

Greebe
28th April 2002, 08:25
Well it has been said repeatedly that he is most certainly NOT talking about anything other than Parhelia.

Why do you still doubt it?

Umfriend
28th April 2002, 08:28
Did he actually say so?

I do believe a lot of his teasing is related to Parhelia, but I would not put it past him to tease some more with "real" information, but then actually pertaining to, say, the G450MMS.

Maybe I am just a bit cynical....(or a moron, might pop up with a new userid soon (tm))

Umf

Joel
28th April 2002, 08:47
might pop up with a new userid soon (tm))

I expect that to happen alot around here, soon, as some ppl try to avoid eating their hats and taking it like a man.

Joel :D

Greebe
28th April 2002, 09:05
Actually Haig did say he wasn't refering to the G450MMS... besides we know that's not a gamers card.

Honey mustard dipping sauce should go well with that Hat :D

K6-III
28th April 2002, 09:47
If it hadn't been for these rumors a Radeon 8500 would have already taken my KyroII's place...

Umfriend
28th April 2002, 10:25
Greebe, I ain't gonna eat no hat, I am not an unbeliever. It's just that I have not found a post by Haig saying what u say it does. I can't read between line very well, that might be it, or:

Joel: not to avoid Hat-au-Vin, just to acknowledge my intellactual capabilites (would I change my userid to moron, as per Rags suggestion/conclusion).

No hat, just errrm, whatsitcalled in english?

Umf

Greebe
28th April 2002, 10:40
Parhelia! :D

mdhome
28th April 2002, 11:58
Originally posted by Umfriend

Joel: not to avoid Hat-au-Vin, just to acknowledge my intellactual capabilites (would I change my userid to moron, as per Rags suggestion/conclusion).
Umf

Umf, your userid is fine as is your healthy scepticism. If Parhelia is as impressive as some seem to suggest then many Murc members (myself included) will also be eating hat.

Regards MD

Snake-Eyes
28th April 2002, 16:49
Dunno about that (eating my hat or feeling like a fool).

I don't doubt they've got something exciting awaiting release. On the other hand, their timing is a bit off for me (well, so far. Still a little time left in which I can return my new GF4 4600, assuming it EVER works for me, lol).

If it's as exciting as everyone says, it'll be around when I spend money again anyway, and then I can pick one up and compare them directly. (About every 12 months I usually upgrade video, sometimes processor, etc.)

One thing I can say especially good about Matrox products, they have long legs. The G400Max currently doing stand-in duties while I wait for Gainward to send me a good card has been here since they started shipping preorders from the Matrox Online Store, and other than overall performance, it still compares very well with everything I've used; IQ in both 2D and 3D is still excellent, and it'd still be my gaming card of choice if it was capable of running UT (soon UT '03) at 1024x768x32 all details at a smoothe framerate. Oh well. At least it lets me play UT at all while the last Gainward wouldn't even boot into WindowsXP without my hand on the card. :p

In the meantime, if I don't get to pick up the new UberCard from Matrox, and have to settle with the 4600 for another 8 months or so (well, probably 6 months or less, given how long it took between when Matrox announced the G400 series and when I actually received the card I preordered), I'll probably not be too unhappy, since the 4600 should be more than capable of handling all tasks and games I need in the meantime (UT2003 has been developed with a lot of emphasis on nV chips, after all). The only way a see myself feeling dejected on missing Parhelia is if the RSN feature is in there this time around, and if it supports real-time conversion of video sources (sort of like some Sony Camcorder night-shot modes- undressing people :D)

Snake-Eyes
28th April 2002, 16:54
If you're reading this honey (my wife, for the rest of you), no, I'm NOT a pervert. That was a joke. :o

Kastuvas
28th April 2002, 16:57
Hehe with an AMD Athlon XP 2100, you bet it runs UT, like turbo charged ford fiesta I would say ;)

impact
29th April 2002, 00:38
More like a rent-a-car Neon with 150hp shot of nitrous.
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/gparmer/articles/neon/

pgde
29th April 2002, 11:36
Some of the more cynical persons feel that Haig is talking about the 450MMS. Please note the following which was posted by Haig this morning:

Robin B
April 29, 2002 09:46 AM

Haig is the Parhelia and the G450MMS to diffrent card`s or is it the same. Will there be other releases after the G450MMS this year that will make us happy.(I think for gamers).

Haig
posted April 29, 2002 10:42 AM

Hi Robin,

G450MMS is what we've allready announced and it's aimed for business only. All the excitement and rumours that's going on is not about the G450MMS. So yes, these are 2 different products.

------------------
Haig
Matrox Graphics
Technical Support Manager

Robin B P
29th April 2002, 11:50
Well i would not call my self cynical,just want to get some more inf from Haig on what`s going on.:)

Snake-Eyes
29th April 2002, 12:04
So you're just playing the cynic in order to try to trick Haig and any others in the know into revealing info in a bid to prove their side of the argument? :D

Cobos
29th April 2002, 12:17
Basicly yes I suppose :)

Cobos who's not that cynical :)

ALBPM
29th April 2002, 12:48
Umf!! :confused: is the sound you make while eating "Hat" :eek:

Umf !! :confused: :confused:

Paul :cool:

Robin B P
29th April 2002, 13:19
Are there many hat eaters here,maby they should start thinking womens trouses.I`v heard that they taste better.:D

[GDI]Raptor
29th April 2002, 13:25
How many Hat eater do we have here?

Novdid
29th April 2002, 16:05
Hat + umf! + barbeque + ALBPM = WHERE'S DARTH?!?!:D

rubank
29th April 2002, 16:17
I donīt think anyone will have to eat their hat.

More likely some will have to swallow their tounge.

rubank

[GDI]Raptor
29th April 2002, 17:22
Originally posted by rubank
I donīt think anyone will have to eat their hat.

More likely some will have to swallow their tounge.

rubank

Perhaps someone will get an hartatack after they see the eXpreme Power of Parhelia. Perhaps some nVidiots that have just bought a GF4Ti4600 card for alot of money... Bad investment.... Almost as bad as nV stocks :D

Electric Amish
29th April 2002, 19:06
Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor
How many Hat eater do we have here?

Not me! :)

"I'm a believer!"- Monkees

amish :D

ALBPM
29th April 2002, 20:43
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmahl/bbqd.gif

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmahl/darthmahl.gif<FONT SIZE=4>... Say Umf !!!!<SUP>tm</SUP>...as you take a bite outa that hat...
<FONT SIZE=1><SUP>tm</SUP> courtesy of ALBPM aka Darth Mahl [MU]<FONT SIZE=2>

rugger
29th April 2002, 21:41
I like my nickname.

So if i have to eat hat . . . . .

BRING IT ON
:D :D :D :D :D :D

superfly
30th April 2002, 20:37
Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor

Perhaps someone will get an hartatack after they see the eXpreme Power of Parhelia. Perhaps some nVidiots that have just bought a GF4Ti4600 card for alot of money... Bad investment.... Almost as bad as nV stocks :D

Define a lot of money?.....

I'm asking since you can get some brands of GF4 4600's for under 350$(mostly pny's,visiontek's and some leadtek's as well)....just check pricewatch

What would really impress me is if a midrange version of parhelia would still be able to outperform a TI 4600 by a meaningfull amount,say 20~30% faster and cost no more than 400~425$....Then i'd gladly eat hat.

Now,i would expect nothing less than at least a 60~70% performance improvement over a 4600 for the high end version of parhelia,especially since it might very well cost twice as much as a TI 4600 anyhow,which essentially makes that card address a different market altogether(Nvidia quadro series and ATI fire GL cards come to mind)...

Novdid
1st May 2002, 14:54
THERE HE IS!!! :D

Novdid
1st May 2002, 14:57
BTW, superfly. A parhelia will certainly serve your rig quite well it seems.:)

superfly
1st May 2002, 16:13
I have no doubt it would be a fine addition...but the question is much $$$ will be needed to get a version of parhelia that outperforms the competition by a decent margin,while keeping the price of the card within reason....

Having a card that has 19 gigs of bandwith is nice but if it ends up costing twice as much as the competition,i somehow doubt that matrox would sell many,no matter how good the performance,since it would address a different market altogether...

Even Nvidia learned their lesson the hard way when they priced GF2 ultra's at 500$,only to find out that it's sales were less than spectacular(i wonder why..;))and every single card release since then has been priced at 400$...

Technoid
1st May 2002, 16:28
When we hoped for the "G800" Haig was more "no comment" than he is now....

superfly
1st May 2002, 16:51
Here's something interesting as well...

news.com.com/2100-1040-896850.html?legacy=cnet&tag=Ithd.

It's an interview with Nvidia's CEO in which he mentions their next generation chip that has a completely new architecture relative to the GF4 series built at 0.13 micron and aparently will be anounced as early as august.....

Wombat
1st May 2002, 17:15
Having a card that has 19 gigs of bandwith is nice but if it ends up costing twice as much as the competition,i somehow doubt that matrox would sell many,no matter how good the performance,since it would address a different market altogether...

That's funny, people by all these GF4 4400 and 4600's, and they're a lot more expensive than my GF3, which doesn't do too poorly.

Even so, I don't think it will be a huge problem.

superfly
1st May 2002, 17:33
GF3's still handle pretty much every game out there quite nicely,but as long as there are faster cards out there which can still be considered somewhat resonably priced,the demand for them will always be there...

It's possible to get a GF4 4400 for about 250$ and i've seen GF4 4600's(mostly pny's) going for as little as 320~330$(check pricewatch)...

But if you're going for a top of the line parhelia,which could cost as much as 700~800$,it has to absolutely beat the living crap out of a GF4 4600 at everything,period.

Now nvidia's next gen part is the wilcard,even more so if they offcially anounce it in august....

Technoid
2nd May 2002, 15:19
Originally posted by superfly

But if you're going for a top of the line parhelia,which could cost as much as 700~800$,it has to absolutely beat the living crap out of a GF4 4600 at everything,period.

Midrange = Beats the crap out of GF4800!
Top of the line = King of the hill 1-2 years!

Cobos
2nd May 2002, 15:32
Technoid, is the GF4800 a typo or a hint that the P will beat the crap out of a tuned or oc'ed 4600 ?

Cobos

superfly
2nd May 2002, 15:48
Originally posted by Technoid

Midrange = Beats the crap out of GF4800!
Top of the line = King of the hill 1-2 years!

For the mid range version i'd be pretty impressed if it outperformed a GF4600 by 20~30% while remaing within 100$ of the GF4's price...

Considering the cost of the high end version of parhelia,i'd expect nothing less than a card with very close to twice the real world fps performance,regardless of settings(AA,anisotropic filtering,etc...)of a GF4 4600...

As far as remaning king of the hill for that long...We'll see if that bold claim holds true..:D

superfly
2nd May 2002, 16:19
Looks there's a hint on when the info about parhelia will be spilled(may 14th?)Check it out...www.nvnews.net....