• Show
Clear All

• G450 or G550 for video editing?

Hello all-

I'm planning to build a machine around the following equipment:

Abit NV7-133R
    Athlon XP 1800+
    1 GB DDR RAM

for video editing on a Windows XP platform. I won't be doing any video capture - that's going to be done by my Firewire card. What I'm looking for is a solid performing, good output, video card that will allow me to use dual monitors (hopefully, one to preview the stuff I've edited while I'm doing work on the other screen).

I came across the G450 and G550 - which seem to be highly regarded for 2D (I won't be doing much, if any, 3D - games are for the other machine). Can't figure out exactly what the difference is, and which is superior. Budgetwise, they're both close (80 and 90, respectively) - and from Matrox's website, all I can gather is that the 550 offers DVI and the 450 doesn't.

Anyone have any advice as to which I should use (or whether an alternative is a better solution to my problem)? Also - is there any way to run dual-VGA on the G550 - seems like all I've seen is 1 VGA connector and 1DVI - is there an adapter cable I'd need to buy as well?

TIA for any advice,
    -rj

G550 is faster than G450, in addition to it's DVI support.
    You can run 2 CRTs off the G550...it comes included with a DVI>VGA adapter.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
    X