Encoding Divx from Mjpeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encoding Divx from Mjpeg

I've never had any problems with Divx encoding from a non-captured source.
    But I'am now tying to encode a captured Mjpeg file to a Divx format and the output is very, very crappy.
    The output is very blocky and looks as if a 100 min movie is encoded to 10mb.
    The source is probably a factor in this because it is very dark, i took it from a camcorder, it contains a impression of a party in a disco with some stobo en light changes.
    But i'am guessing it has more to do with pixelation noize created when capturing from the BOB.
    I've encoded using: Virtualdub/Nandub/Tmpegenc with Divx 3.11 and 5.01 pro and this with and without denoize filter (used 2-pass).
    Can somebody help my solv this problem, i'd aprisiate it.

Excuse me for my crappy english

VirtualDub

Well... I find that VirtualDub is a lifesaver regarding captured video. It has rather good support for noise filters, deintelacing options and other ways of enhancing video material so encoders such as DivX will do a better job at encoding.

MJPEG is a b***h to encode directly to DivX without processing the video first. Usually I deinterlace first with 'SmartDeinterlace' and the I apply different niosecancelation filters to get rid of the noise. The real trick is to combine normal and temporal filters (such as the 'smoother' and the 'temporal smoother' filters) and adjust their settings to kill the noise without getting blurred or static images.

And use the 'Show motion areas only' option to help you adjust the values to the best possible setting (only applicable for filters that support this feature).

I hope this gave you some insight into how it is possible to get good quality video although the source material may be of rather low quality (from an codec's point of view).

Ghydda
    As I always say: You can get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than you can with just a kind word.
    My beloved Parhelia was twotiming with Dan Wood - now she's gone forever and all I got is this lousy T-shirt
    |Stolen Rig|RetroGames Rig|Workstation Rig|Server Rig|

Comment

Working...
    X