Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Video Capture/Editing

Hi All,

I am planing to move on to digital capture/editing using a camcorder via firewire.
    To what extent will my Marvel hardware and software will still be usable ??

Regards,

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

The same as before.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks Brian,

But as you well know the Marvel bob only takes phono plugs and s-video inputs.

Debbie
      Last edited by Debbie; 23 April 2002, 23:26.

Comment

Debbie: you don't connect your camera to the BOB unless you are capturing analogue. You connect it to your Firewire card, but the functionality of Marvel will not change. You don't connect your hard disk to your line-out socket of your sound card, do you? So why should you try to connect an IEEE-1394 device to your BOB? (Or a V-12 engine to a bike??? )
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Hi Debbie,
          I am assuming that your post is in regards to the Marvel having any usefull benefits since you will be going to firewire?

Assuming that is in the positive, and bearing in mind that The Doc could better explain I will try to muddle through with my explanation. As I recall he mentioned that the color space of DV is only 4:1:1 whereas Analog is 4:2:2. So going with analog for scenes that would have titles, or overlays, blue/green screen shots would work better given the better color space of analog. Especially if you are going to be using the Microsoft (Yuck) DV codec.

For just plain ol' footage that won't have any titles, and will just be a cuts only, or some crossfading there would be no benefit to using the Marvel.

My apologies to the good doctor if I butchered his (As I recall) explanation.

Hope this helps.
          Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks IM_Riktar and Brian.
            Now that I have my DV camcorder I am aware of the connections to the computer.

I do not see much difference in picture quality between the IEEE-1394 connector and the old Matrox
            BOB. I have used all connectors since the camcorder can be connected to s-video, IEEE-1394 and phonos.

Regards,

Debbie

Comment

Working...
            X