No announcement yet.

Interlacing problems when capturing greater than half screen size using G400TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlacing problems when capturing greater than half screen size using G400TV

I think I've asked this before, but to be honest, I forgot what the response was. I've got a matrox G400TV, and am trying to use virtualdub to capture above half screen size, but when I do, I get this interlacing effect (I've got a feeling it does it with PC-VCR too, but when I just tried to check, I was getting lots of frame drops I think cos I have things running in the background, but I'm fairly sure the same problem arises):

full screen

half screen

I can't swap the interlace, because I'm capturing to mpjeg. I've tried HuffyUV, but can't seem to capture above half size without massive frame drops, despite having a fairly fast machine. Get back to me if you need more info! many thanks

I hope this info appears ok on the screen:-

Operating System System Model
    Windows 98 No details available
    Processor a Main Circuit Board
    1000 megahertz AMD Athlon
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7A266 REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7A266 ACPI BIOS Revision 1006 08/20/2001
    Drives Memory Modules
    70.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    10.69 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HP CD-Writer+ 8200 [CD-ROM drive]
    MAT****A CD-ROM CR-588
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (61.46 GB) -- drive 0
    Generic IDE hard disk drive (8.59 GB) -- drive 1 256 Megabytes Installed Memory
    256 Megabyte Module Size - 1 Installed
    4 Memory Sockets are Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 8.41 GB 375 MB free
    d: (on drive 1) 8.59 GB 510 MB free
    e: (on drive 0) 53.06 GB 9.80 GB free

Network Drives

Controllers Printers
    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) HP DeskJet 720C Series v10.3 on LPT1:

Display
    Matrox Marvel G400 AGP - English [Display adapter]

I think I'm using v1.55 of the matrox driver software

Lambchop,

people here try to do their best to help others. By
    coming again with an issue and saying: oh I know
    somebody already helped me but I do not remember,
    so please do me that favor again, you will not
    succeed.

Get grilled.
    Best Regards,
    Karlson.

My setup: not sexy, but stable...
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7XIE4 (Irongate)
    Bios: Version FAD beta
    CPU: AMD TB 1300/200FSB
    RAM: 640 MB PC-100 noname
    Video: Matrox Marvel G400 TV
    Sound: SB Live Value
    Disks: 40GB Maxtor, 120GB Seagate and 80 GB Highpoint RAID0/Samsung

Comment

Lambchop
      If you've forgot the answer search the forum...
      I did it, but did not found your question before.
      I'm afraid, you've "forgot that you've forgot" to ask it before.
      If you are lucky, maybe you have a "new" chance

Fred H
      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Woa! Sorry, I didn't mean to offend!

There are 2 reasons I said I might be bringing up the subject again:
        (1) I know I posted it on the official matrox forums and vcdhelp.com, but wasn't sure if I had indeed posted it here. I remember posting here before, but to my knowledge it was regarding macrovision, and not this issue, but could not be sure. Not realising there was a search I didn't check, but now I see I havn't posted this topic here before!
        (2) I went through a number of possible solutions which were offered to me but did not work unfortunately, and I cannot remember them all, but recently overcame another problem, and thought it might bring me a step closer to solving this one, so wanted to go through the same steps again to see if I could get anywhere.
        Ok, fair enough, bad wording on my part!

Like I said, sorry if I offended! Can anyone offer any information on the issue?

Comment

Forget it, you blew your chances. Anyway, with just 5 posts including the ones from this post I doubt that you had posted it here before.

What version of the VT are you using? I believe that there was a set with the fields mixed up.

Also try enabliing used field based scaling in the Dualhead properties of DVDMax. It may just be an issue of the progressive PC monitor not liking the interlaced video. See if you have the same problem on the TV output.

Capturing to HUFF does not require a very fast CPU. It requires a pretty fast HD though, because it isn't compressed very much at all it has a high bandwidth. Try capturing to your fastest drive (probably your biggest) and see if you stop dropping frames then.
          WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

I reinstalled v1.54 recently to see if it would fix my problem actually, with no success. I think the problem has cleared up through installation of some updated ALI chipset drivers, but I havn't checked thoroughly, so if it isn't working I'll try that trick thanks!

As for HUFF, I was under the impression that it causes problems with the G400TV because it doesn't capture to YUV, but only to RGB, so had to do a LOT of conversions to get the required result, and cannot cope at full screen. I'm no expert, I could very well being wrong, I was just wondering what your thoughts on this matter were?

thanks again

Comment

Lambchop,

you will be forgiven

Maybe a silly question, but you are aware that if you capture half screen resolution, there will be no need to interlace, whereas when you do full screen, there has to be interlacing, so that the artefacts would be "intentional".

Depending on what you are going to do with the material, you either try to de-interlace them, possibly with the smart de-interlacer for VirtualDub, or you leave it, e.g. when processing for SVCD.

About HuffYUV: my experience is that you will never suceed in capturing with it when you are not using a RAID0 array. What also works quite well, by the way is using a software codec like Morgan or PICVideo. For me, AVI_IO creates the best capturing results.
              Best Regards,
              Karlson.

My setup: not sexy, but stable...
              Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7XIE4 (Irongate)
              Bios: Version FAD beta
              CPU: AMD TB 1300/200FSB
              RAM: 640 MB PC-100 noname
              Video: Matrox Marvel G400 TV
              Sound: SB Live Value
              Disks: 40GB Maxtor, 120GB Seagate and 80 GB Highpoint RAID0/Samsung

Comment

Lambchop, the interlace problem is already answered, about the dropped frames, there's a known bug with that version of video tools you are using, I still remember that and most people around here too: at the time it has been out almost everyone reported lots of dropped frames and most of the people moved back to version 1.52. Since I don't run win98 for a long time I can't say what's the best video tools but I remember that version 1,52 used to run fine. You can just uninstall your vts and try 1,52, can't be sure but that should solve your problem. Good luke.

Asus A8N-E
                Opteron 146
                2x512mb Gkill
                Seagate SATA 120 gb
                Plextor Premium/LG GSA-4167B
                Matrox Parhelia APVe
                Echo Mia soundboard

Comment

Each NTSC, PAL or SECAM video frame consists of two fields; one field has the odd scanlines while the other has the evens. Interlacing "artifacts" are normal and are due to whatever movement that occurs between the time each field is captured.

To minimize the striations in camcorder footage you should use the fastest exposure time your cam has consistant with the lighting. In bright sun this is no problem, but in dim light it can be problematic. Even after doing this there will still be a double image, but the striations will be minimized. Delacing will get rid of one of the double-images, but at the cost of detail.

With broadcast, VHS or disk sources there is nothing you can do to eliminate/minimize them but to delace the footage.

Another option is to process the footage thorugh either VirtualDUB or TMPGEnc. Both can use advanced delacing filters that can combine both fields into very good looking NON-INTERLACED footage.

VirtualDUB's advanced delacer is in the form of a plugin whose link is on VirtualDUB's site. TMPGEnc's delacer has numerous optuions, but the "odd-even" collection is the most useful interlace artifact removal.

Yes, TMPGEnc can take an *.avi as an input, apply its video filters and save the video back out as an *.avi. The only limitation is that it cannot save out DV type 1 or DV type 2 unless the MainConcept DV codec is installed.

This technique is very handy for when the footage will be used later with overlays, titles or other effects where the interlace artifacts would be objectionable.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                  X