Spyware that removes Ad Aware!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware that removes Ad Aware!!!

There's some nasty spyware going around which removes Ad aware, it's distributed with a program called Radlight. This page has more details http://www.spywareinfo.com/issues/index.html

You can voice your opinions on the Radlight forum http://216.194.92.96/phpBB2/index.php
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Is it me or is that the same thing as a Trojan virus?
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

It's absolutely the same thing as a Trojan... not a virus.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

first time I tried this quick reply thing, so here goes...

this sounds pretty friggin nasty, and should be illegal in my opinion! If I want to remove AdAware or any other program, I bloody well will!! And if I am not capable of it, I will ask someone who is! Bastiges!!

This sort of thing needs to be nipped in the bud so that it doesn't become commonplace and set a precident. If that happens we will have a hard time getting any sanity back...
        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Pretty much.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

It appears their user forum is now offline

Long live the bunny
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Is it surpricing
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I think stuff like that IS illegal, at least in germany - should be in most other countries, too...

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

What next Microsoft ZX which detects and removes linux from your other hard disk. Hopefully this bunch of jokers will get panned and eventually go out of business.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I can imagine it now

Numerous spyware and ad-ware programs fighting over your computer in order to get the prominant ad position on your screen, or chew up you CPU and RAM resources, or use your internet bandwidth.

Funny thing is, all this ad-ware and spy-ware software is really self defeating, as there is only so much bandwidth and hardware in a computer, and they can't take or use all of it and keep the user happy at the same time.
                    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I was keeping an eye on their forum for fun prior to it going down. interesting to note someone had worked out their little player was no more then an enhanced skin for Windows media player
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Sasq,

Sounds right. A lot of really shady stuff is turning up, like

* skins being marketted as whole products.
                        * ligit codecs (in particular the divx codec) being wrapped in others and marketed as complete separate codecs.
                        * software full of bad adware, spyware, and hackware.

It seems now that microsoft is making half decent software (keep bloat and registration issues for another thread) everybody else has turned to making crapware

we just can't win
                        80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I agree that anything loaded unto my machine without my consent should be illegal. Just had a nasty run in with that f***ing Gator app. I think it happened when I downloaded and installed the latest, supposely free, Divx 5 bundle. It's the only common download between my home PC and my work PC and both of them had it.

Joel
                          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

what companies have noticed that no one reads the agreement becuase most if it's legal gobblegook so they hide the nasty stuff in there and say you agreed to it.
                            The best ones agreements I like is that by opening this package you're agreeing to licensing agreement. Yeh take a walk.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT The best ones agreements I like is that by opening this package you're agreeing to licensing agreement. [/B]
                              Which is usually inside the box
                              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X