WinXP G400 driver ver 5.82 - BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP G400 driver ver 5.82 - BSOD

I have troubles with 5.82 on my XP system. I have read all messages on Matrox support forum and tried everything (except reformat and reinstall - and will NOT!). Nothing help!

Problem:
    - MSI mainboard KT266Pro (VIA KT-266)
    - WindowsXP, G400 32Mb DH
    - uninstalled 5.72 using Add/Remove Programs
    - installed latest VIA 4in1 - 4.38
    - installed 5.82
    Result: XP hangs at Welcome screen (sometimes it even lets me input password), wait about 30 sec and then BSOD appears mentioning STOP and G400DHD.

Actually 5.72 also hangs sometimes (in IE, OE and some Flash stuff) but not so instantly as 5.82!!

Welcome to the infinite loop problem. Unfortunatley there isn't a definite solution to this. The best thing I can suggest you head over to Via arena and look at the thousands of posts on this. Anyway I list some of the solutions. Not in order.

1) If you had win2k stable before this return to win2k.
    2) Slow down your memory timings.
    3) Try a newer bios for your motherboard.
    4) Try altering your agp driving strength.
    5) Try an alternative power supply.
    6) Try another motherboard.
    7) If you listen to John Gatt your Video card is faulty.
    8) Try the Intel solution.
    9) Try upping the vcore.
    10) If you're overclocking knock it back to normal.
    11) Try Microsoft drivers instead of Via's
    12) Clean install
    13) If your memory is 133 rated try it at 100.
    14) If you're using acpi disable it in the bios and reinstall XP.
    15) Wait for service pack1 for XP and hope this solves the problem.
    16) Try increasing the memory voltage.
    17) If you've got two sticks of ram try it in slots one and three.
    18) If you got memory sticks take one out and try them in turn.

Okay thats all I can think of for now. Note none of these are a sure fire fix. Some have tried these and they work others it hasn't. For me though since I had win2k working for six months without a problem I just went back to win2k and the problem was solved.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I guess all that is not a solution, since 5.72 works (almost) OK. I will VERY wonder if 5.82 will get MS sertification!

Comment

Try them some people have had success. Theres so many graphics cards involved I wouldn't say that it's a Matrox driver issue. All I know is that it seems to be a Via and XP issue. Faulty equipment clouds the issue as well. No one has yet shown me a link to another chipset. One person did but if they carried on reading the thread they would have noticed that the person who orginal posted found that it was a faulty ram module.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I can't roll back to W2K, since XP is a corporate standart in my company.

Obviously this is a Matrox fault, since 5.72 work OK.

Comment

Originally posted by SergeSF
            I can't roll back to W2K, since XP is a corporate standart in my company.

A problem being exposed in a certain driver revision doesn't mean it's caused by those drivers in the first place, does it?

Comment

The thing is, not even all the people with similar hardware and software are experiencing this. For instance, I just bought an MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU, and because of having returned my GF4 I'm using my G400Max with it. Rock solid stable with the 5.82's here. I'm not sure what the issue is for some, but maybe you could try a different revision of the Via 4-in-1 drivers too.
              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600
              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I solved that problem by flashing my motherboard with a new BIOS version...

Hope it helps...

Comment

By the way my G400 did the same thing which rules out John Gatts duff Video card rubbish he was on about.
                  Perhaps you ought to point you tech department towards Via arena so they can uncorperate XP. Pretty silly them jumping striaght on the band wagon.
                  Like I said try some of the things I suggested it worked for some and not all for others.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Never ever had any of this sort of problem!

I've had a G400 Max for a few months under 3 years now running under Win98/SE/Me and now 2K. I've always had Intel chipset motherboards with my Intel CPU so maybe it's something to do with the AGP driver for VIA's?

As dZeus said, why assume that?

Best of luck anyway!
                    Cheers, Reckless

Comment

Working...
                    X