No announcement yet.

Jedi Knight II & XP - Your Experiences.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedi Knight II & XP - Your Experiences.

PIcked up Jedi Knight II on friday and installed it, hoping for some fine lightsabre action. What I got was a game that will crash a random amount of time after being started - never waiting long enough for me to actually play the damn thing. I@ve almost got through the intro movie.

I@ve tried everything that lucasarts suggest: every driver ever released for winXP for the kyroII, removing my MX300, using the onboard sound of my mobo. Nothing makes a difference.

The game refuses to work on the other XP machine in the house too - A duron 900 with a GeFart2 MX.

Am I just unlucky? I've not seen anyone else having issues with the game. If this doesn't work then it's back to win2K, and XP be damned, which is a shame as it was doing well up until this game.

Any suggestions / gloating that people want to share?

Uberlad

System Spec -

SIS645 Motherboard
    P$ Northwood 1.6 @ 2.12 (I've tried it at stock speeds)
    2x256 Mb Crucial 2100 DDR
    Vivid XS Kyro II
    Diamond MX300
    XP Professional.
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Don't know about XP but the game works fine in 2K, if you decide to revert back.

Comment

I have only played the game a bit [ got DungeonSiege and have been playing it most of the time ], but it was working in XP just fine for me.. on a Radeon 8500LE.

Pe-Te

Comment

Turn off gl-extensions works fine

Comment

Ah - GL extensions.

I was going to try that last night, but the beer caught up with me.

I'll give that a go this evening, wish me luck 8-)

Uberlad

Comment

Well, that didn't work. 8-(

It improved stability a lot. I can now get into the game, and play for a few minutes before it locks tight with caught sound.

Possibly it's the Vortex2 drivers, I hear that MS pretty much hosed them. I@ll do some more tweaking and see if I can't get myself something that slightly works.

Curses. Looking more and more like win2K, and possibly dumping the MX300. It's given almost 4 years of sterling work and will recieve a viking funeral. Or I@ll flog it to someone who's still using win9X, where it rocks.

Any suggestions for good new soundcards? I don't want 5.1 sound, I can live without the ability to make my mp3's sound like they're underwater (creative ship some really stoopid things with their sound cards) but I like sound quality - it's feeding a hi-fi.

Uberlad

Comment

Just 3 words....

Turtlebeach Santa Cruz
              main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

...also known as Videologic Sonic Fury(essentially the same board, but easier to find).

Comment

Looks like a resounding response. Dare I ask about the quality of XP drivers?

Or would that be hoping for too much?

Uberlad

Comment

Just give Win2K a try and everything will work again (try to dual boot Win2K and WinXP)
                    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I have only tried it on XP, but on my machine (A7M266-D, AIW8500DV) it randomly locks when loading a new level.

On my brothers machine (A7V266, 8500Retail) he has no problems whatsoever.

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

since when has LucasArts produced anything that's worked straight out of the box?

I've always waited for a patch to be released before messing with their stuff
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It's the first time I@ve had issues with a Lucasarts game since the original Dark Forces. Well, serious issues.

Stability is improved now - I get to shoot stormtroopers for up to 5 mins before it barfs.

I think win2K has to be tried,m I can just use Partition Magic to make myself a partition to install it on can't I? It isn;t like win9X and requires the primary boot partition?

Uberlad

Comment

2K requires the boot partition in the same way that XP does. I dont think you will notice 2K on a second partition if you have XP on the primary. It will just edit your boot.ini i think....
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Cool, I'll dig out a copy of win2K and give it a little partition of its very own.

Uberlad

Comment

Working...
                              X