Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Honda

Hey

I have a friend who is willing to give me a 1987 Honda Accord, its been off the road for about a year and its in decent shape, it needs some minor body work on the rear fender on the drivers side, and a fanbelt and some piping between the engine and the exhaust.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any personal experiances that could indicate whether or not to throw some money at this thing to put it on the road or if I should just keep saving and get something else.

(As for the money part, I have about a grand saved up and its taken me 6 months to save up that much, and I need a car like NOW!!! to get to work)
    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Get the car

Hondas are great cars I haved owed several and still have 2 now they have very few problems. make sure and find out if timing belt has ever been changed check Cv joints too, you may want to pay a garage you can trust to check the car out and see if anything major is wrong with it

Comment

That year of accord is generally reliable overall, but I would still spend a few bucks to get it inspected to see what you need to spend to get it road worthy again. You won't be sorry.

Comment

That is always good to know (I like honda's as well).

The car is one of my fathers friends (Used to work with my father and car pooled until this guy retired)
        The car used to be the one they used for car pooling in until the guy bought a truck they used instead.

He was saving it for his daughter to have after she got her license. But she doesn't want it now and just bought a sunfire.

He doesn't want it anymore and will give it too me because he wants to clear out space in his garage (Talk about being in the right place at the right time)

The only major problem it has had was one day they took a corner coming home and the rear tire came off (as well as some other drive train parts) but he spent a fair chunk of money on it getting it fixed because he really thought his daughter would use it.

Comment

Wow, what a nice fellow!

Comment

Currently own a Honda and no problems with it great car . But spend a few bucks to get it inspected (especially because it has been off the road for about a year).
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I'd have the timing belt replace right off the bat regardless of how the inspection goes. I've seen them die and it ain't pretty. (especialy after sitting for a year)

BTW not all Honda's are great cars, H still poops out sh*t vehicles, just not as often as most makers
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I just sold a '97 Accord (replaced with a virtually new Mondeo). It was totally reliable for the year I had it, and the service history showed it to be reliable over its 90K miles too. It wasn't very economic, but that's not so much of a problem over there, is it? Unleaded Petrol is now 75 pence per litre here
                FT.

Comment

Generally (he says awaiting the flames and examples otherwise to flood in) if its a Japanese car, especially a Honda, it'll last forever and never rust away.
                  Honda started life as purely an engine maker, they later expanded into making cars. Their VTEC engines are pretty impressive.
                  Hondas are the least ugly of all Japanese cars too, IMHO.

Although saying that, a freind from another board (The BX 16v owners club ) will curse Japanese, Tiawanese and Korean cars vehmently for their poor reliability and high servicing costs. Maybe they send 2nd rate cars to where he lives in Austraaaalia?
                  Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

That's why they're called Honduh...

Why not ask the rice boys themselves?

Automotive Performance and Luxury Product Review Forum that's like a dysfunctional family talking about trucks, cars, brakes, speed, mods, guns, politics, lifestyle, relationships, photography, watches, alcohol and very expensive toys

A forum community dedicated to Honda and Acura owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, concepts, reviews, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

A forum community dedicated to Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, troubleshooting, K24 swaps, turbo kits, and more!

http://www.honda-acura.com./

A forum community dedicated to Honda Prelude owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, racing, engine swaps, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

Videos, Pictures, Tech tips, forum help, gallerys, links, faqs and a lot more on high powered cars. We have videos that will blow your mind away! Taking your Honda or Acura to the limit!
                    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Flaming RichL:

piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip piiiip piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip piiiip PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP!!!

Comment

I can see now that the inclusion of clubsi.com was a mistake. I fully expect cbman to come back from clubsi.com any minute now screaming: "I want the 25hp 9" exhaust tip! I want a set of euros/altezzas! And I definitely want the blue LED windshield washer nozzles!"

Another soul lost in the arcane realm of rice...
                        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Ain't no way I am gonna be a rice boy.

The only Neon on my car will be that reflected off the paint when I goto the rippers.

Comment

As Wierd Al sings : Rice rice baby!
                            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Ok, I have to point out the negative aspects of all hondas, I own an Acura Integra LS 1995.

1-Under powered

2-The engine starts to burn oil after 120K, mine is burning on average 2 litres every 2-3k, I friend of mine with a civic is buring the same amount.

3-the 5th gear has absolutely no pickup power at all, you have to rev the crap out of it in 4th then shift to 5th to get some kind of accelleration (I know 5th is a cruzing gear, but not in my case)

4-The interior is poorly designed, I think the Japs need a lesson or two from the Germans and Italians big time!
                              I mean what the hell is the cup holder doing right in front of the stereo?????

5-Hondas/Acuras rust like mad.

6- The Anti lock braking system is a joke, I'd be better off without it.

7-Which genius came up with the idea of putting the water pump right behind the timing belt?

OK now for the good things about Acuras.

1-They handle great.

2-Extremely Reliable, just turn the key and drive.

Sorry that's all I can think of for now
                              Last edited by Elie; 26 April 2002, 08:49.

Comment

Working...
                              X