help: point-to-point routing sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help: point-to-point routing sucks

Maybe it's not the most descriptive subject....anyways.

I'm using RR cable access, I used to get connections to a buddy of mine in Atlanta at 20 k/sec, which would make downloads acceptable. Recently, though, I've only been able to get 4 k/sec max. This has now been a problem for about a month now. When I do a tracert to his box, it appears as though my signal goes to San Jose, then San Fransisco, before going to Atlanta. I only say that because those names show up in the tracert stack. It up to a couple thousand ms to get to his box using tracert...pings usually time out using the default time to live.

So what I'm wondering is if there's anything that I could do that would influence the route my connection would take? Or should I just call RR and yell at them for having a slow ass system???

b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

From what I understand, there really isn't too much you can do to affect the routing of your datastream.

You could cut the power to the router building in San Fransisco so that it forces your data to take a different route... just call up your and friends
    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. Anybody know some gangstas or sumthin in Cali who want to have a little fun?

Is there any way that RR could influence the route, or would it be out of their control as well? I just don't understand how my connection could be so frikkin slow, especially since it used to be reasonably quick. Even ICQ'ing him takes forever.

b
      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Hey Spooge,

There is only one thing you can really do. Call your provider and bitch at them. Tell them that it appears they have a routing problem because your packets are taking the detour from hell and that is not acceptable to you. Also, they promised you UP TO 128k upload(or more) and you are not getting that, but I doubt the line is so overly saturated that it is causing your slowdown.
        Sounds like they may have switched to a backup line or decided that they neeed to re-route some traffic to ease congestion. give them a call, let us know what they tell you...

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
        X