Antialiasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antialiasing

Let say a company is going to annunce a new video board after a long period of time.
    What kind of Antialiasing method do you think they will use?
    NocturnDragon

simply the BEST!
    "Dippadai"

Comment

Good guess Nappe!!!

Comment

If you have huge gobs of bandwidth, why not use supersampling. Render everything at 1600X1200 or higher internaly, and downsample to monitors resolution when displaying.

Good stuff:
        Easy to code for (drivers).
        Doesnt wash out textures.

Bad stuff:
        Doesnt fix any 'popping' of textures, like the 3dfx method did.

Ali

Comment

And the new Matrox card is rumored to have 19GB/s bandwidth.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

And what about headcasting?
            Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

But let say that i want to play 1600x1200 with.. i don't know.. 4x or even 8x supersampling full screen AA. What resolution would the card render the scene internaly at?
              NocturnDragon

Comment

Ali: with Multi Sampling you get better quality...
                "Dippadai"

Comment

Originally posted by nocturn_dragon
                  But let say that i want to play 1600x1200 with.. i don't know.. 4x or even 8x supersampling full screen AA. What resolution would the card render the scene internaly at?
                  for 2x:
                  2 x 1600 = 3700
                  2 x 1200 = 2400

for 4x:
                  4 x 1600 = 7400
                  4 x 1200 = 4800

for 8x:
                  8 x 1600 = 14800
                  8 x 1200 = 9600

and for the 8x:
                  back buffer needs fill rate when running 60 fps:
                  14800 x 9600 x 60 = 8130Mpixels/s
                  this fill rate needs memory bandwidth to back buffer: (32bpp & 32Bit Z, overdraw factor about 2.5)
                  ((8130000000 pixels/s x 4 bytes per pixel for color) x 2 another 4 bytes per pixel for Z value) x2.5 overdraw factor = 158 GigaBytes/s

and besides, as I said, good Multisampling always beats SuperSampling.
                  "Dippadai"

Comment

I think you got your numbers wrong Nappe.

2 * 1600 = 3200

4 * 1600 = 6400

8 * 1600 = 12800

And something else. If you run your res at 1600x1200 and enable 4x SSAA your card will be scaling down an image from 3200x2400 and not from 6400x4800 (that would be known as 16x). Get the point???

Comment

Thats true, if you double the vertical and horizontal resolutions, then you get a screen which has 4 'tiles' of the previous resolution.
                      2(double vertical)x2(double Horiz) = 4(complete screens @ original res)

good one there novdid, i didn't look so close...
                      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Nappe1

for 2x:
                        2 x 1600 = 3700
                        for 4x:
                        4 x 1600 = 7400
                        for 8x:
                        8 x 1600 = 14800
                        Oh my god, i can see that the finnish school system has gone down the crapper. Next time just use a calculator.

But i can understand that those 2x16, 4x16 and 8x16 numbers are really hard to calc.. you never need those numbers when talking about pc-hardware...

PeTe

Comment

perhaps nappe1 wrote that on purpose, maybe he was thinking of some new and fancy fsaa.
                          This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

FSAA@1600

I don't think we need Antialisasing at 1600*1280... You don't even see the pixel ! (ok, if you have a 32 inch monitor, you will be able to see it !)
                            I've owned MGA Millenium, Millenium G200,... GeForce (to trash !) replaced in two days by a MillG400 DH. And waiting for the fantastic Matrox MGA Soon..

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid
                              I think you got your numbers wrong Nappe.

2 * 1600 = 3200

4 * 1600 = 6400

8 * 1600 = 12800

And something else. If you run your res at 1600x1200 and enable 4x SSAA your card will be scaling down an image from 3200x2400 and not from 6400x4800 (that would be known as 16x). Get the point???
                              ROTFL!
                              well, what I should learn about this?
                              rule number one: Never reply to MURC while eating breakfast, especially if you are calculating something.
                              Rule number two: Never use previous results to next calculation.
                              Rule Number Three: double check everything before submitting.

Rule Number Four: check a wake status. if you aren't sure, don't post anything.

wil I learn anything about this? propably nothing. I forgot those rules soon anyway...

so hopefully I wake up totally next time before I start replying here.

Novdid: You are absolutely right in there. my whole post is totally f*cked up. So no more too early postings for me.
                              "Dippadai"

Comment

Working...
                              X