Video manipulation software comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video manipulation software comparison

I am trying to decide between two pieces of software, Vixen pro and Video Finesse.

Both seem great as they include vectorscopes and wave monitors, but there is a general lack of available reviews, so I would like to ask you guys your opinions.
    Vixens effects are keyframable, Test Signal Generator for Bars, PLUGE and other common line-up signals.
    Video finesse offers resizable and floating, windows, as well as slightly more complex filters I think? Both work with Premiere 6.0.
    The problem is I am not knowledgeable enough when comparing features to really know what is better. Yes I know there are trail versions, but I'm looking for some perfesional opinions as I don't want to just skim the features and then bash my head against a wall in 6 months because a complex feature is missing or doesn't do well. So let me know what you think.
    I am shooting in DV and do a lot of blue screen and studio work.
    Thanx Ken
    Damnit Jim I'm a film maker, not a systems tech!

Oh come on guys. Someone must have a clue about this stuff. Check out the links and tell me what you would use.

Comment

Maybe the fact that nobody seems to know anything about either of these programs is a clue that there are things out there that are better than either of them. I don't use Premiere myself so I can't speak to your specific needs, but I can't imagine that you would find better integration with that app than After Effects (which I hope you already have if you are considering such obscure effects programs as the ones mentioned above.)

Comment

Well Miya if there are programs out there that are better lets hear about them! That is the point of the post. Yes I do use AE but if you had a non sarcastic clue you would know that unfortunately it does not have a vectorscope or waveform monitor. I am simply looking for an honest opinion on what you (not you miya) would prefer out of the two programs? Or if anyone has a better choice. Any help or possitive suggestions would be very welcome.
        thanx ken

Comment

Try searching for Vixen on the Canopus forums. I remember seeing some posts about these exact products in recent months.
          Here's a link:

Comment

You are rude Kenobi!

I answered in the exact same tone as your second post. No sarcasm intended, I was only trying to help. Last time I try to help you. Next time you try baiting people into answering, don't be surprised by the response. By bettter program I obviously meant AE. You didn't mention that you already used AE, nor were you specific about what you planned to use this software for (if you specifically need waveform/vectorscope, then why did you not mention it?)
            Last edited by miya; 23 April 2002, 09:32.

Comment

Miya, trying to help? Give me a break. You didn't say one thing intended to help.
              "nor were you specific about what you planned to use this software for (if you specifically need waveform/vectorscope, then why did you not mention it?)"
              I clearly stated both programs have waveform and vectorscopes with links to both. Which you obviously didn't check out or you wouldn't have wasted my time with your sarcastic worthless post. I also stated-I am shooting in DV and do a lot of blue screen and studio work. What more do you want to know, the name of the damn movie!
              Yes Miya, please do not help any more.

Hey thanks DCHIP that link helped.
              ken

Comment

I am sorry if I offended you kenobi. I hate to be misunderstood. The point of my post was to point out that you're usually best off with AE. I am sorry I overlooked the comment about waveform/vectorscope. My intent was to help, I guess you're too interested in starting a fight to see that.

The link you posted were to the developers' own propaganda. I'm sure you had already read it so I saw no insights I could offer. I wouldn't base a buying decision on such biased descriptions.

For bluescreen use Ultimatte.

I have no idea what you mean by studio work (as regards post,) in my work that means anything not shot on location. How does this require a special program?

You were, after all, begging for responses, and then you complained about the quality when you got one. How much did you pay to use this forum? I thought it was free.
                Last edited by miya; 23 April 2002, 19:46.

Comment

Oh Miya.

Comment

I prefer the Xentrik product.

But the reason for that is Xentrik - unlike Synthetic Aperature - supports ULEAD MediaStudio Pro (and Speed Razor) in addition to Adobe Premiere.

Synthetic Aperature only supports one application: Adobe.

End of debate right there for me.

Jerry Jones
                    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

All right Jerrold, I gather you have never tried Video Finesse so I won't ask for a comparisson, but what do you like about Vixen? What don't you like about Vixen? Other than the verctorscope and waveformmonitor is it really head and shoulders that what is available with premiere/after effects? Is it Vixen Pro you use? Does it have standard colour bars for its calibration?
                      Well I should stop asking questions now.
                      thanx ken

Comment

Again, I prefer Vixen because it's the only one that supports ULEAD MediaStudio Pro.

So I've never had an opportunity to try the Synthetic Aperature product and it wouldn't be fair for me to comment.

But if you want to read a fairly decent article about them both, then I would point you to the January issue of DV MAGAZINE.

There was an article by Steve Hullfish entitled "The Fundamentals of Color Correction" on page 36.

The article shows screen shots from both Vixen and Color Finesse.

The article does not "compare" them; but there is a note on page 46 that states "DV plans to review some of these plug-ins in future issues."

DV MAGAZINE's Web site is now all screwed up to the point where a person can't access much of anything without a lot of trouble.

I've grown so irritated by DV MAGAZINE that I cancelled my subscription.

(They're playing "favorites" where their forum censorship is concerned, in my opinion, and their forums are mediocre anyway.)

Nevertheless, here is what the article *does* say about Vixen:

"Vixen has an innovative automated color cast corrector that works similarly to the white- and black-balance buttons on a video camera. You click on an area of the picture that should be black and click the BB (black balance) button, then you do the same with white and click the WB button. If the image has no white or black areas, you can select a neutral gray area and click on the CB (color balance) button. This doesn't offer a whole lot of control, but it is very quick and intuitive."

Jerry Jones
                        Last edited by Jerry Jones; 26 April 2002, 17:11.

Comment

P.S. Try using the http://www.google.com search engine and then plug-in the term "vixen" and "John Jackman."

The direct links that appear will take you to the lame DV MAGAZINE Web site, but you can basically read their content by clicking on the Google "cached" version.

Have you looked at either the BorisFX or Boris RED plug-ins?

I use BorisFX somewhat - and it also has lots of color correction tools.

Visual Effects Applications and Plugins for Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve, Avid Media Composer, Autodesk Flame, The Foundry Nuke, VEGAS Pro and more

Good luck.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Hi, ya thanks Jerry. I've been down both those roads already. I have done quite a thourough web search already and have explored DV magazine. I haven't been satisfied with much of anything I have found. That is why I posted, to see if any one has used these programs and to find out what they like and don't like. Looks like I'm going to have to go in pretty blind as they are so . Video Finesse is the direction I'm heading unless someone can tell me different.

Comment

Working...
                            X