Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Matrox card for 2d desktop use only. does it matter which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Matrox card for 2d desktop use only. does it matter which one?

I'm looking to buy a cheap Matrox card to get better 2d quality. I don't to anything other than email, office apps and programming on this box so I don't need much other than something that makes my screen better to look at. Will I need a G400 or higher series card for the best 2d quality or will an older Matrox card do the job. Please give me guidance as to what I need. Also, let me know if you have a used card kicking around.

Well...even if you only need 2D you'll want it fast and smooth. Also if you're using a new OS like XP or Win2K you'll need drivers.

I'd recommend the G400 dualhead bought from the Matrox refurb center: $89 USD

Dualhead is very handy for programming and other such apps when you're running in Win98SE or Win2K. Just make sure you download the eDualHead drivers if you're using Win2K else you won't get independent sizing of each display.

Single head G400's can be had for anywhere from $40-60 USD online. Check with pricewatch.com

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

What resolution and color depth do you use/need?
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

And what kind of monitor?
        Is it a quality one?
        If it's a 6 year old Packard Bell 14", nothing is going to help get a better display on it...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
          And what kind of monitor?
          Is it a quality one?
          If it's a 6 year old Packard Bell 14", nothing is going to help get a better display on it...
          HEY!

You leave my Packard Bell monitor alone!

Seriously, Kruzin is right. But I see you do programming. Dualhead is great when I program.

Rags

Comment

Sorry I should have given more details. I'm using a single monitor and unless you can convince my boss I need two that won't change. It was a good idea for the dual head though. My monitor is a 17 inch trinitron. OS is 2k and will probably switch to XP eventually. My usual resolution is 1152 x 864.

Comment

A Millennium G200 will work fine for your purpose... but if going dual monitor get a G400
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X