New Media 2000 highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Media 2000 highlights

Finally I had the chance to goto New Media 2000, a convention totally dedicated to video/photography/internet/web content and design you name it.
    I got my badge and entered he hall, the first company I saw was Forefront Graphics, a leading supplier of high performance computer graphic and digital video solutions, they were demoing the Digisuite LE and the RT2000, WOW! simply amazing I said to myself, they were showing a clip with all kinds of realtime effects using Adobe Premiere 5.1c (caught the eyes of quite a few attendees that were interested, even me )

Straight after that, I headed towards Adobe, couldn't resist, I had to ask them about Premiere 6.0 and when it would be released, it took them about 5 minutes to answer and guess what...They said 6.0 will be released either November 2000 (which is when Adobe's fiscal year end) or January 2001, It sounds a bit late to me but at least I know they're working on it

I was just walking by and I happened to look over to my left, and low a behold THE FIRST DVD RECORDER I've seen yet! The Pioneer DVR-S201, the real Mccoy, priced at $5500 US, I asked if it would work with DVD IT and they said yes, but at the time they were using a software package called "Reel DVD" by Daikin www.daikinDVD.com a very interesting package, check it out on the web.

I then walked over to Vistek, a local camera store here in Toronto, kinda like B&H in New York but at a smaller scale, they were also demoing the RT2000 and the DV500, the quality was similair but the DV500 had to render all the 3D DVE's unlike the RT2000, Total amount or RT organic wipes in the DV500 "150" again unlike the RT2000 "500+" anyway I quickly saw the DV500's limitations and walked over to LG, a Korean company that produces one of the best flat screen monitors and LCD screens Ive seen yet! check it out at http://www.lg.ca/ though the 19" LCD TFT flat screen did cost $5000 Can. ouch!
    Onwards I go to my next stop NEWTEK, they were demoing the Video Toaster, one awesome system but did cost $5000 US, that's not including the system and all those SCSI drives, but the transitions were nice, just like the good ole Toaster 2000 if you all recall
    The interesting thing was, Newtek were using a story board type NLE package, it was nice but reminded me of Avid to much so I moved on.

Over all the event was an experience for me, I learnt a lot, for example.. DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT THE 80 MINUTE MINI DV TAPE EXISTED???
    Yes they do, and the maker... Panasonic, the only thing I can say is GO FOR IT! especially for those that have long projects like me
    BTW: A 120 minute midi dv version rumored to be released soon

I also saw a mini DV/SVHS deck by JVS retailing at $3199 Can. a very good price for what it offers, basically you output to DV from the RT2000 and then if you want an SVHS copy you simply hit play on the dv side and record on the SVHS part and viola, a head to head transfer will occur which will illuminate degradation.

BTW there was only one dealer demoing the DV500, Canopus was nowhere to be seen, one DPS station, one DVD1000 station, Millions of Mac G4's, Three RT2000 stations spread across the exhibit hall.
    Sony released a new DVCAM camcorder called DSR-PD150 which looks like the VX1000 with more options, here's a snippet...
    * features both DVCAM and DV recording and playback.
    *Dual XLR audio inputs with manual control.
    *2 Lux low light sensitivity
    *Progressive scan mode along with removable Memory stick
    *A newly developed 1/3 inch CCDs captures out standing images.
    Interesting indeed

Regards,
    Elie
    ------------------------------
    Keep the pantyhose on!
Working...
X