Win2k Dual Head Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k Dual Head Question

Hello, I was fighting Win2k today installing a G450 PCI 32MB card (why does Win2k instist on enabling the *disabled* onboard video when bios disabled it?!?!) . It may of been my imagination, but when I enabled the second head it almost looked like the picture quality on the first head got worse. Is this possible? I am not at work anymore to really test it. Any info?

Another odd issue. When dual head is enable and I have both 19" viewsonic monitors running at the same frequency (85Hz I think), a line moves accross the screen. One on the right monitor that goes from the top to the bottom and one on the left monitor that goes from the bottom to the top. Any ideas on that one?

jImbEam

What usually works for hardware on the motherboard and W2k if it insists on finding it, is let w2k find and then go to device manager and then click "disable in all hardware profiles". After a reboot it should stay out of your way

Cobos
    My Specs
    AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

The lines (one going up, one going down) on the monitors are normal. They are caused by interference between the two monitors. The better a monitor is shielded, the smaller the effect.

The solution is either to put the displays further away or to put some (metal) shield between them.

Perhaps it is possible to sync their refreshrates, but I'm not sure about that...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

There are two things you can do.

1. Run the monitors at different refresh rates.

2. Isolate them from one another somehow.

Rags

Comment

I've seen the same thing when the monitors are at the same refresh rate. Just separate the refresh rate by 5 or 10 Hz.
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I have had the symptom with monitors running at different refresh rates (they were addressed by different computers) : 640x480@60 Hz - mono vga - and 1280x1024@85 Hz.

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I changed one of the monitors to 83 and it seemed to make the lines go away.

Cobos
              That is how I got the card to work. This is the second time that I had to do that with a dell with an onboard video card.

Anyone have an answer to the first question? Did anyone notice a difference in video quality after enabling dual head or was I dreaming? I may have to go test it at work tomorrow to see.

jImbEam

Comment

The Image quality degradation might be due to insufficient shielding of the monitors (the same effect that caused the lines). Try moving thm further apart or shielding them against one another and see if you notice a difference

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                X