X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia in Debugging?

This is a cut and paste from the Matrox General Hardware site:

posted April 15, 2002 10:39 PM

C'mon, Haig! We've been waiting a very, very long time for even an announcement! You do have the board ready, don't you? Or does the fact that you haven't tried it yet mean that there is no board ready yet?

Haig
    posted April 15, 2002 10:45 PM
    I know you've all been waiting for a long time and in 3 years, we'll all go thru this again . Just remember that the debugging process of a chip and pcb does not happen in a few weeks. It takes a long time to do this in order to ensure stability at launch.

------------------
    Haig
    Matrox Graphics
    Technical Support Manager

Click below for the message thread:

G1000-MAXXX General Hardware Thread.

It has gotten rather long, and as several other posts here have noted, Haig has dropped numerous hints about the future. Today, Haig opened a continuation thread so take a look!
    Last edited by pgde; 16 April 2002, 09:21.
    Homebuilt Intel P3 933 Mhz, 512 Mb RAM, ASUS CUSL2-C MB, 400w TruePower Antec PS, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, WD 160 Gb Spec Ed HD, Yamaha 20x10x40 SCSI Rewritable, Toshiba 12x DVD, Parhelia 128 (replaced a G400MAX), Win XP Pro SP1 w/latest patches

Goddamn whiners, why can't they just have a little faith and patience like us MURCers

Comment

Translation;

Generally speaking this kind of statment means they have the chipsets and are now building alpha or beta prototype boards. Some prototypes work right off while others require tweaks before they're solid.

Even after the boards are finalized the betatesters have to do their thing with both the boards and drivers in real-world, and sometimes totally UN-real (no, NOT the game), situations.

Yes, betas actually TRY to make them fail.

PATIENCE!!

ALSO: I see that Matrox is going to SCAR. This symposium is for medical imaging types, and many of those systems are beginning to require very high end graphics, including 3D for use in MRI, CAT and PET scanners that are increasingly capable of high quality 3D simulations used for surgical planning.

Now...Matrox does make products for use in medical systems, but I sure as hell know that radiology s/w engineers would just die for something with a LOT more power than the 2064W used in the Genesis card (originally used in the Millennium-I) or the G-450 used in the 4Sight-II imaging computer

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 April 2002, 11:20.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hehe, it's true that some never get tired of whining how Haig isn't telling them "anything"... Now they're happy because he's told them that the release will be Soonâ„¢, something we MURCers have known for 2 years already
        I think SCAR is for demonstrating the Med2MP... But I also think that Parhelia is way past early alpha

Edit: But I'm still not sure that the new card won't be named G1000, because "G" is for "graphics" and the rest is just the model number right? Just like "RT" in "RT2500" is for realtime?
        Last edited by Tempest; 16 April 2002, 12:42.

Comment

I doubt they will use a Gxxxx name. Or even the Millennium name.

I would think they want to show a whole new generation of chips, and don't want to relate it to the old chips in any way.

Who knows...the name "Parhelia" is already becoming recognisable to those who know about graphics cards. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released under that name...

Then again, maybe we'll see the G750.67 Millennium this summer...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
            Who knows...the name "Parhelia" is already becoming recognisable to those who know about graphics cards. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released under that name...
            This happened with a car made here in Australia in the 70's. It was a high performance car designed for production racing. So much information was leaked about it and people were anticipating it so much, that it's internal codename - A9X - was kept even when they released it. People just didn't think of it as anything else.

I'm sure if Parhelia comes out called anything else (but for God's sake, NOT THE MATROX GOAT!! ) all us MURCers will still refer to it as Parhelia.

And at least it's more creative and intruiging than such codenames as "NV30" and "R300".
            <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

What about TCFKAP (the card formerly known as Parhelia)?
              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
              My System
              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
              German ATI-forum

Comment

I just wanted to say that I would be pleased to help Matrox with the debugging process
                I know it is a hard job but I'm ready to try any game with the new card, I'm even ready to play overnight

How do you become a hardware Beta Boy ???
                System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

The Med2MP is yet another of their products based on an outdated core; in this case the G-200

I too hope they keep the name Parhelia. It's cool and has the potential for some really nice logos, as the avatars around here show.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by cerb

This happened with a car made here in Australia in the 70's. It was a high performance car designed for production racing. So much information was leaked about it and people were anticipating it so much, that it's internal codename - A9X - was kept even when they released it. People just didn't think of it as anything else.
                    Other examples:

OS/2 Warp
                    X-Box

I'm sure there are more...

Comment

Working...
                    X