Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400 / RainbowRunner-G, Help!!

Hiya,

This is a toughie. I realize most of you guys/gals use this forum for serious video work, so I hope you don't mind me posting a DesktopTV problem.

When I use the Matrox PC-VCR it starts up as a blank screen for TV Input and I have to fiddle with the Input selector to get the Tuner to start displaying. It's not only a 'nuisance' bug ; if the timer goes off, it crashes then my system won't shut down properly, which of course renders the program useless as a PC-VCR, which it purports to be.

It only works properly after a fresh install of all drivers, but after a couple of days or even hours I get the above bug. The standard error messages usually start a little while after that.The appearance of the problem is accelerated by using the Multi-Display Mode and/or changing display resolutions.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was consistent about say appearing above or below a certain res/depth combo, but it isn't, and once the problem has surfaced, it rarely works properly again at all, until the next time I reinstall all the drivers.

I can only hypothesize (I'm not a Windows or video card programmer) that a registry (or pins?) entry is being corrupted by chance or more to the point, the setting for the area in g400 memory which should be reserved for tv-tuner input is being screwed with and the program isn't intelligent enough to check if that area's being used already, before trying to start.

I've tried it with AVI_IO and it works OK, but as far as I can tell, AVI_IO initializes the vidcap driver at composite/line and then changes to TV-Tuner for Source, which is the same as me jiggling the Input select on the PC-VCR. Much as at some point in time (when I start using it as a video-editng card) I might shell out $25 for AVI_IO (which looks to be a great tool), it is not a PC-VCR replacement (and there *is* the matter of getting a program to replace a manufacturer's program that isn't working right within it's own drivers/hardware? I mean. come on).

thanks

Grey Bear

G400 16MB DH 4x AGP SGRAM, RainbowRunner 'G' Series
    Asus CuV4x, PIII667, 576MB, SBLive
    WindowsME, DX8.1

*All* most recent drivers,bioses
    IRQs OK, DXDiag OK, G400 Diag OK
    No Firewire, No remote proggies, No soundcard issues
    AGP Aperture 256MB
    OS is fresh install a couple of times

I'm sorta hoping somebody like Haig or This Idiot comes a'slummin', but any intelligent thoughts are greatly appreciated.

and today I get the dreaded

Hi,
    This is a known issue but unfortunately these drivers are final.

Sorry.

------------------
    Leonardo
    Matrox Graphics
    Technical Support Supervisor

:-(

I just acquired the record-holder box-->dustbin card.

Comment

C'mon . . . Y'all are MURC !!!!!!- Upholders of Truth, Justice and Driver Fixes That Make Things Work Right.

GB

Comment

Hi GB,

Wish I had a neat answer for you but....

I haven't encountered this prob myself but then I don't use the G400 for TV capture. I'll do some digging and see if I can find anything out - don't hold your breath though. I'm wondering if going back to older capture drivers might prove your best bet.

Chris
        T_I

Comment

I appreciate it, do the forum files here go back far enough for me to check for anything similar ? There *is* a couple of threads open on MTS fori, but the mod currently seems stumped.

Pat
          GreyBear

Comment

Working...
          X