Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with nVidia Geforce2 Ti

Hi

Completely off topic, but this site was recommended.

Please be gentle with me!

I'm running Windows XP, all the latest patches, latest via 4in1, just installed latest nVidia detonator drivers.

I was having a problem with Unreal Tournament causing a BSOD after between 30 seconds and 10 minutes. Screen would stop updating, keyboard and mouse would freeze, sound would loop, music would play and then after 10 seconds, BSOD.

After updating to latest nVidia drivers, it doesn't even get to show the intro vid before it BSODs - just get 10 secs of music, and now Serious Sam SE BSODs without starting as well.

Quake3 runs fine, so I'm guessing it is Direct3D related.

I'm running PIII 800, via chipset, gfx card sharing irq 11 with hard drive controller card (nowt I can do about it), on board sound, 384 MB ram. Latest updates to UT. AGP4x. This setup all worked fine, until I upgraded from TNT2 to Geforce2Ti

Tested Unreal Tournament in opengl mode and it doesn't blue screen, but it doesn't work, either.

Any ideas (other than should have bought a Matrox!)

Thanks

Hey look... a VIRGIN guys!!!

Just teasin... welcome to the forums
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

1. Try turning off AGP 4x. Also turn off AGP Fast Writes, and if you have forced Sidebanding on, turn it off as well.

2. Download nVmax and turn on "prevent infinite loops".

3. Ask us again if those two thoughts don't work.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Re: Problem with nVidia Geforce2 Ti

Originally posted by Rob(QG)
        Hi

Completely off topic, but this site was recommended.
        Yeah! the best place in the internet!

Shure!

I'm running Windows XP, all the latest patches, latest via 4in1, just installed latest nVidia detonator drivers.
        Try testing the driver suplyed from the card manufactor, if they only provide referense drivers skip this test.

I was having a problem with Unreal Tournament causing a BSOD after between 30 seconds and 10 minutes. Screen would stop updating, keyboard and mouse would freeze, sound would loop, music would play and then after 10 seconds, BSOD.
        Please write down the BSOD!
        It might seem like MS gibberish, but there are some geniouses on the forum's that can give great advices if they see it!
        (I still think they'r mostly gibberish to keep me from knowing what the f*** happened to my computer )

After updating to latest nVidia drivers, it doesn't even get to show the intro vid before it BSODs - just get 10 secs of music, and now Serious Sam SE BSODs without starting as well.

Quake3 runs fine, so I'm guessing it is Direct3D related.

I'm running PIII 800, via chipset, gfx card sharing irq 11 with hard drive controller card (nowt I can do about it), on board sound, 384 MB ram. Latest updates to UT. AGP4x. This setup all worked fine, until I upgraded from TNT2 to Geforce2Ti

Tested Unreal Tournament in opengl mode and it doesn't blue screen, but it doesn't work, either.

Any ideas (other than should have bought a Matrox!)

Thanks
        OK!
        We want all the info:
        Manufactor and model of the Mainboard, gfx, sound, etc etc....
        Please

That everything shares IRQ 11 is perfectly normal in WinXP!

But to help you we need more presice information!

Edit:
        Gurm Beat me to it!
        Last edited by Technoid; 15 April 2002, 15:33.
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Cheers for help.

When I used the manufacturers drivers, it was only in unreal that the prob occurred (30 seconds to 10 minutes into game). They were 23.11 drivers I think.

Gfx card is Prolink Geforce2 Ti 64 meg not overclocked.
          Motherboard is Microstar 6318 - dunno what revision.
          AGP slot is revision 2.0
          Sound is integrated creative rubbish
          IDE card is Maxtor (Promise) Ultra ATA 100 adaptor
          Network card is 3Com 3c595
          PCI slot next to vid card is empty.

Never actually seen BSOD, as I keep forgetting to turn off auto reboot! It's done now, so I'll let u know next time it happens.

I've switched to AGP2x and Via compatibility mode in Geforce Tweaker.

Will reboot a bit later and get back to you.

Comment

OK made those changes and can run unreal tournament now.

Will have to give it a longer run to be certain, but it looks good at the moment.

I'll let you know.

Cheers

Rob

Comment

SEE?!? For all of you who insist on believing that I'm just a cranky ol' coot... see? I made some newbie happy with MURC.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Oh sure, help out the token <i>virgin</i> MUrcer
                System 1:
                AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                Epox 8K7A
                2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                SBLIVE 5.1
                Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                3Com Hardware Modem
                Teac 20/10/40 burner
                Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  SEE?!? For all of you who insist on believing that I'm just a cranky ol' coot... see? I made some newbie happy with MURC.

- Gurm
                  I will not even comment on that !!! ( he he )

Seriously ....

23.11 drivers are crap and have serious BSOD issues..... use the 27.70 ones or the 28.32 ones whichever gives you the best performance !

when it comes to UT .. disabling the W-buffer might help too !

W-buffer .. an alternative z-buffer ( sort off )
                  Last edited by Kosh Naranek; 15 April 2002, 18:22.
                  Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                  incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

yeah yeah we've seen that before... shame it's the exception instead of the rule

-pickle

/end poke at Gurm mode
                    Last edited by Dilitante1; 15 April 2002, 18:32.
                    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Well the results are in:

It is working after enabling via compatibility and switching to AGP 2x.

Gonna leave it at that, as I should be switching to SiS and AMD architecture fairly soon.

Thanks for all the help

If you ever have a cable related question, pop by the forums here:
                      www.cable-modems.co.uk

Thanks

Rob

Comment

Funny thing with AGP x2 ....

If I force AGP x2 in the BIOS on my Epox 8KHA+ and then play UT .. it's ..sloooow and the mouse is dragging like sh**t !
                        ( and oh yes ..... it's VIA's fault )

Setting AGP back to x4 and UT runs like a charm !
                        and that's with a "soon replaced with something else" GF2 GTS !

two other tips for possible getting UT up and running with AGP 4x:

1. Set use up to xxx MB of main memory to use as PCI texture memory to 63 MB in the nVIDIA driver settings under D3D!

2. Turn of PreCaching in UT ... may give a small performance hit or boost depends on the GFX card.
                        Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                        incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Working...
                        X