Upgrade time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade time...

I was wondering if I should upgrade my current system. I had replaced the video card and sound card recently (with a Radeon 7500 and a Santa Cruz). They probably won't be upgraded for a while, unless Parhelia appears sometime soon I currently have a Slot1 P3-750 on an Abit BE6-II mobo. Originally, I was planning to upgrade to a dual Athlon MP system, but decided against it since I don't have a lot to devote to this, and I have no experience with SMP systems and very little with AMD systems. I figured I might as well wait for AMD to release the Sledgehammer if I can't spend too much time on this now.

So my question is, would it be worth it to get a new CPU, such as a faster P3, along with a S370 to Slot1 adapter in the meantime? Such an upgrade would go pretty smoothly and I could manage it in less than a day. I have the 1.1 revision (I think) of the BE6-II, which according to Abit doesn't support the Tualitin, so I'm not sure if this is really a good idea.

Here's my current system if anyone is interested:

Intel P3-750, Abit BE6-II, Crucial 7E PC133 384MB (128MBx3), Quantum Fireball KA Plus 18.2GB, IBM 60GXP 20GB, Promise Ultra66, Pioneer DVD-105S, Plextor Plexwriter 8/4/32, Linksys LNE100TX NIC, ATI Radeon 7500, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Sony 19" 400PS, Addtronics 7890A w/ PC Power & Cooling 450W Turbo-Cool PS
    Last edited by Liquid Snake; 14 April 2002, 20:03.

What OS are you running? You may benefit yourself most by just getting a bit more RAM and putting the rest off. That MB may not make it much longer, so save your pennies for a full system change.

Myself, I'm waiting for the Thorobreds(sp?) to hit so that the prices of everything drop. Then I'll probably get a new CPU.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What exactly do you use your system for?

Comment

Hmm let's see. On weekdays it's the usual stuff like browsing, word processing etc. Also some image editing, though nothing advanced. I have to scan drawings for my friend, clean them up and send them to him, so no advanced Photoshop effects are used. Images are usually around 30MB so I don't think the RAM is a problem. Gaming on weekends and whenever I have time. I figured that a CPU upgrade probably wouldn't be worth it, as the fastest P3 I can get in here is a 1GHz, not that much faster. 133MHz doesn't work reliably on most BX boards (there's no 1/3 AGP divider). So I guess I'll hold off for now and just get a new HD, since I am running out of space.

Comment

You still haven't said which OS you're running.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I knew I forgot something. I'm running Win2K, so SMP support shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

I wasn't thinking about SMP. Win2K may very well notice the difference between 384MB and 512MB. XP definitely will.

Comment

I concur. Win2k seems to like its RAM - 512Mb seems about right for me. Also a (relatively) cheap upgrade for the extra performance. And 30Mb images in Photoshop would definitely appreciate it, beleive it or not, especially with a lot of layers.

gnep
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

512 is to be considerd a minimum when working with Photoshop 6 in w2k! If I were you I wold dump any plans on upgrading the CPU on that mobo better save up some money and go for a new mobo and cpu and ram!
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Well Greebe almost convinced me to get a P4 rig in the future instead of a dual Athlon MP system. I'll decide when the time comes to upgrade. The current mobo and CPU will stay as is.

As I said, I'm not really doing heavy Photoshop work, so I wouldn't benefit much from the extra RAM. But since RAM is so cheap these days, hell, why not?

Comment

Working...
                    X