Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usb2 Hd!

Has anyone tried one of these?
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

This sounds hideously fishy to me...

Rotation speed: 5400 rpm
    Average transfer rate: 60MB / sec
    Seek time: 24ms
    It's a 5400rpm drive, it takes 24ms to find anything, yet we're expected to believe it AVERAGES 60MB/sec.?

My RAID ARRAY doesn't deliver an AVERAGE of 60MB/sec.

In fact, no drive currently in production for desktop use is that fast.

Now, this may very well be a nice unit. But it ain't what it purports to be, and that's always troubling.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

IBM and maxtors normal drives are rated at 200MB/s but nobody looks at those figures! So my Q still is has anyone tried one of these?
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

According to c't, USB2 HDs are suffering greatly from speed limits with the usb2 bridge chips, and they advise to either wait until those limitations are overcome or buy firewire HDs, if you want fast external hot-pluggable data storage. However, even those 1394 drives with the SAME bridge chips seem to be capped at different speeds, which suggests firmware issues, plus some bridges don't work well with some 1394 cards or their drivers - so, I'd wait until manufacturers have more experience with USB2 AND FireWire - but if you want, I can give you the names of the better units they reviewed

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Pretty much with az here. If you want such a drive, FireWire is the way to go. It's been out for quite a while, and Apple has created a real market for FireWire drives with their recent Mac designs.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The problem with Firewire is that not everyone has a firewire card but almost everyone has a USB(or USB2) port on his/her computer!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              This sounds hideously fishy to me...

It's a 5400rpm drive, it takes 24ms to find anything, yet we're expected to believe it AVERAGES 60MB/sec.?

My RAID ARRAY doesn't deliver an AVERAGE of 60MB/sec.

In fact, no drive currently in production for desktop use is that fast.

Now, this may very well be a nice unit. But it ain't what it purports to be, and that's always troubling.

- Gurm
              The 60 MB/S is the transfer rate over the cable. USB 2.0 is 480Mbps or 60MBps. Some marketing/sales person probably transposed numbers 'cause it sounds better.

Comment

The problem is, it is the theoretical transfer limit - but as I said above, there's currently no IDE-USB2 bridge chip that comes even close to those numbers in practical use.

And there is a drive which supports both FireWire and USB 1, for emergencies

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Comment

The problem is, it is the theoretical transfer limit - but as I said above, there's currently no IDE-USB2 bridge chip that comes even close to those numbers in practical use.
                    @gb he's refering to bandwidth useage... not that there aren't any devices (I've read many reviews). Shame Maxtor used a pokey slow 5400 rpm HD for this...
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I am not very sure about this.. but sometimes the transfer rate stated is from disk to diskcache .. wasn't ATA133 something like that 133MB/s?
                      Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                      ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

that's the disk cache to interface speed burst speed rating of 133/s
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cking4@ford.com
                          Note also that MS has recently made it very difficult to get USB 2.0
                          support for Windows 2000, having legally threatened any web sites offering
                          the Release Candidate 2 beta drivers for download. They will also not be
                          in Service Pack 3.

They haven't yet made it impossible to get the RC2 drivers for 2K, just more
                          difficult to.
                          that sounds interesting!

any links?
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by cking4@ford.com
                            Note also that MS has recently made it very difficult to get USB 2.0
                            support for Windows 2000, having legally threatened any web sites offering
                            the Release Candidate 2 beta drivers for download. They will also not be
                            in Service Pack 3.

They haven't yet made it impossible to get the RC2 drivers for 2K, just more
                            difficult to.
                            Why would one need a Microsoft driver to run someone elses interface card? (I know it makes it easier not having to keep track of another CD.) Don't the cards come with drivers?

Comment

7200rpms is not needed for an external drive. Transfer rates over the crappy USB2.0 connection are limited by just that...the USB. 5400rpms is even...neh..mabye even too much. Also power/heat were probably taken into consideration.

If Microsoft sticks USB 2.0 in SP1 for Windows XP but no USB 2.0 in Windows 2000.....PEOPLE SHOULD GO BESERK ON THEIR *****.

It's a Service Pack. NOT a feature pack.

High_Jumbllama-Most USB controllers can be run with generic drivers...just like modems/keyboards/mice. Performance is degraded but they at least work.
                              C:\DOS
                              C:\DOS\RUN
                              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Working...
                              X