No announcement yet.

What does everyone think of this board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does everyone think of this board?

What does everyone think of this board? I wish it wasn't an Abit.

Review of Abit AT7 (KT333)
    Attached Files

The same as you... I kind of wish it wasn't an Abit
    It's quite cool. At least the size of capacitors is bigger, I hope they tolerate heat better than their counterparts in older Abit boards. If that is in order, then the only wish I have is that they'd exchange that HighPoint controller into something else.

Then again, I get this strange feeling when I hear the word "integrated"... And I have my trusty IBM PS/2 keyboard that I wouldn't give up even if they gave me the board for free. I might be a bit "oldskool" but I think that a board with only USB (even if it's USB 2.0) connectors for keyboard and mouse is a repulsive idea.

I think I'll consider these myself:

Last edited by Tempest; 12 April 2002, 16:24.

Comment

I agree with Tempest on the Asus board, never had a problem with them.

Plus that Abit has no PS/2 ports!!! Why? How?

It's like buying another dudes dirty underwear right off his ass or bobbing for turds in a toilet at a Taco Bell restaurant! (ok ok, I went to far with that, I'm sorry )
      Last edited by ZokesPro; 12 April 2002, 13:46.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Coolness, the new legacy free board. Hopefully ASus will come out with them soon. Finally the 16-bit bus kicks the bucket.

I haven't used the PS/2 ports on my computer for over a year. Use the USB M$ Natural Pro keyboard with a Logitech Mousman plugged into the USB on the keyboard.

Jammrock
        Last edited by Jammrock; 12 April 2002, 14:59.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Newer Operating Systems . . .

Newer Operating Systems can run without.

A warning! I once took out a Win98 machine because the keyboard was one of those hub deals with the keyboard and mouse connecting through the hub and since I plugged it back into the wrong spot, it needed to redetect the hub to detect the keyboard and mouse. It gave the usual messages about not being able to detect a mouse, but of course I couldn't get past that message because it couldn't see the keyboard either. This was even with the emulation set in the bios.

Now if only I could find some ergonomic (aka like the M$ Natural) keyboards that were not M$ that did not have those damn hubs.
          Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 12 April 2002, 15:02.

Comment

Am I a magnet for bad Asus boards or something? I have had 3 Asus boards fail. I also don't understand what's wrong with Abit. I have had only good experiences with Abit, while bad with Asus.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
              Am I a magnet for bad Asus boards or something? I have had 3 Asus boards fail. I also don't understand what's wrong with Abit. I have had only good experiences with Abit, while bad with Asus.
              I think somebody doesn't like you Your sentance should be the opposite. Just the fact that you posted that statement proves my point. I'd seriously give Asus another look. Far and above the most stable boards out there.

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I don't know about "most stable", but definitely up there. Epox and MSI too.

Now, I definitely don't like ditching the PS/2 port. It works, don't mess with it. Also, find a KVM switch that will take USB (and PS/2).

Among other reasons that I wouldn't like this board:

1. Abit made it.
                2. I'm not a fan of integrated-everything.
                3. Abit made it.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Agree with Wombat, the reviewer says he's never used more than 3 PCI slots? I've got sound, NIC, SCSI, modem, Firewire at the moment...

While I'd like all those USB/Firewire on the back, I hate onboard RAID, and I'd love a board with an extra bank of PCI

Give me PS/2 as well. My USB stuff also came with PS/2 ports (MS Mouse/Keyboard come with adaptors), and while I started with both on USB, I've reverted to old trusty PS/2

P.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    I don't know about "most stable", but definitely up there. Epox and MSI too.

Now, I definitely don't like ditching the PS/2 port. It works, don't mess with it. Also, find a KVM switch that will take USB (and PS/2).

Among other reasons that I wouldn't like this board:

1. Abit made it.
                    2. I'm not a fan of integrated-everything.
                    3. Abit made it.
                    I think you missed reasons 4, 5 and 6:

4. Abit made it.
                    5. Abit made it.
                    6. Abit made it.

But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

I never said I'd buy it. I'm sure a non-integrated everything version will come out later. I just think it's a step in the right direction, because other board manufactures will follow...like Asus.

PS/2 ports need to go. Yes they work, but they run off the archaic 16-bit ISA bus, which needs to go. It's a step in the right direction...just not a big enough step for me to bite.

What I want is a legacy free dual Athlon, Asus or MSI board. Nothing integrated except the IDE controller, USB and firewire. No onboard sound, video, NIC, etc. If a beast like that comes out, then I'll bite.

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Personaly I haven't had a runin with abit boards yet,

BUT!

ASUS!

one thing that puts them on the top of my shit list it:

If a led light is conected wrong the mainboards just wont boot!!!

With any other mobo it will just mean that the power light wont light or that the HDD light wint light up when the hdd's are accesed!
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I just picked up an Asus A7V333-R, and it kicks this Abit board's ass. The only differences are, the Asus has:

- Two fewer USB ports (4x 1.1, 4x 2.0)
                          - No onboard LAN
                          - One fewer FireWire (has one controller, but two ports so you can chose 4 or 6 pin)
                          - Promise raid controller instead of highpoint (only two raid channels, not four)
                          - 5 PCI slots
                          - 2x PS/2, 2x serial, 1x parallel, 1x joystick
                          - 3 DIMM slots, instead of four
                          - AGP Pro 4x Slot

I think I made the right choice
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I've only . . .

I've only ever had two problems with my Asus board.

1) One was that it sometimes does not detect high speed CD-R/CD-RW drives. Usually a reboot is all that is necessary. This is extremely rare and usually only happens when you've been messing with the system. (uninstalling and reinstalling)
                            2) The CMOS battery eventually failed and that can happen to anyone after a couple of years.

Comment

I dont want to give up my original edition Microsoft Natural Keyboard.

Their original was great.. everything after has sucked bigtime. I even have a couple still in shrinkwrap I got really cheap.

Why the hell does the keyboard/mouse interface need to be faster? Have you guys got overclocked hands now or something??

Comment

Working...
                              X