Old School: configuring jumpers on Aopen FM56-ITU/2 ISA modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School: configuring jumpers on Aopen FM56-ITU/2 ISA modem

I know this will seem downright ancient to some of you but I am really stuck:

I need to configurie the jumpers on my recently acquired Aopen FM56-ITU/2 ISA modem and I stupidly took all the jumpers off thinking it would automatically kick into PnPlay mode.

Wrong.

It does not want to work and seizes up my serial mouse...I have no idea in what position a "jumper" needs to be to be considered ON? is it by placing the little black jumper on both pins... or just one of the 2 vertical pins (sort of hanging over)...it so confusing...

Ideally I want to configure the Aopen FM56-ITU/2 ISA modem for PnP and if anyone can walk me thru it I would seriously appreciate it (explain to me like a 2 yr old

or...

tell me how how to put the pins back so it is at least in the default com2 position...

thanks you

sincerely

dan the pinhead

ps...I do not have the manual

On is closed ie jumpered/shorting both pins
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

so if I put a a little black shunt on two pins, then I have opened the jumper?

"On is closed ie jumpered/shorting both pins"

so bizarre...thanks

Comment

The pins are nothing more than a wire (circuit trace etc) that's been cut but which allows you to place a jumper on it thus short (closed/connecting) enabling it ie completing the circuits path.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

so if you removed all the little black shunts then the exposed jumper pins would be open or ON by default?

please be patient... I failed math.

Comment

off... ie a digital low or 0
            on... ie a digital high or 1

Comment

You know what, Dancray?

Search engines are wonderful things

A simple Google search gives you <a href="http://www.aopenusa.com/tech/download/manual/modem/modem_isa/AOpenITU2.PDF" target="_blank">this</a>

rubank

Comment

yes I have that "manual" but it does not show how to apply the shunts for pnp mode; or even how to apply the shunts with examples in the first place. I have done the google thing.

thanks

Comment

On = 1 = shorted = closed = jumper covering both pins

Off = 0 = Open = no jumper= jumper covering one pin
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I hope this works....

so...the weird thing is that in the info on the back of the modem it says to turn on JP16...but THERE IS NO JP16...it goes jp1 to 11 and then skips to JP17...what do they mean
                    ?

Last edited by dancray; 12 April 2002, 09:37.

Comment

Just put a jumper on JP3, which gives you the default settings of IRQ3 and COM4. I doubt this will conflict with your serial mouse, it will most likely be using COM 1/3.

It´s all in the manual.

rubank

Comment

agreed

Comment

A lot of times companies use the same PCB and silkscreen for different modems, and then just add the components for that "model." If you really don't have that jumper, it's likely that your model doesn't have a PnP capable chipset.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

thanks I'll try the JP3 thing...btw do I enter motherboard BIOS and disable the COM Port set up; or do I leave it on auto? I've always been fuzzy on settign up the m/b bios properly for modems. thanks

Comment

In CMOS setup com1 IRQ4 (for mouse), com2 IRQ3 (or disable this one if not used).

Leave Modem on com4 IRQ3

Save/Exit and all should be just peachy

Comment

Working...
                              X