X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless monitor!?!

This would be very cool
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Problems...

1. Image quality. I realize this is going to be primarily for digital monitors, but manufacturers have a hard enough time making a WIRED monitor look good and reject interference.

2. Bandwidth. Let's see...

1280*1024*16bpp = 20971520 bits per frame
    = 2621440 bytes per frame
    = 2560 KB/frame = 2.5 MB/frame

If we assume this is crappy LCD technology, which only supports 20fps (50ms pixel response), you still need to push 50MB every second over this WIRELESS link.

Since I have personally never seen a wireless link capable of pushing 50MB/sec., I am VERY skeptical that this device works the way they'd like us to think that it works.

Now, if it's an analogue device, then we're talking MAJOR interference and display degradation.

Anyone want to comment here?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I think that the fact Bill Gates is touching it than no good can come out of this!

But seriously, I agree with Gurm and the major distortion theory. If this ever comes out to the public it won't take long before people will throw their wireless monitor out the window without worrying that the tower will follow!
      Last edited by ZokesPro; 12 April 2002, 06:47.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I still think that the report is misgiving!
        It is obviously a striped down laptop! (ie mem,gfx,sound,cpu)
        That get everything else through the wireless conection!
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Why not stop guessing and read the <a href="http://www.viewsonic.com/products/airpanel100.htm#specs" target="_blank">announcement</a>

rubank

Comment

It's not a wireless monitor. It's stripped down WinCE device with a Terminal Services client and an 802.11b network adapter. The desktop must be "remote desktop" enabled (ie. WinXP or higher). I don't think it will connect to a W2K Terminal Server, it has to be tied to a single workstation.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
            X