BT's ASDL???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT's ASDL???

My local cable company (NTL) are putting up the prices every month and at the same time withdrawing analogue services as they 'focus towards the future of the market'. This month we lost all the pay-per-view movies. I didn't watch them, but that's not the point.

Due to a line fault that NTL are not prepared to fix I can not receive either their broadband or digital TV services. Unfortunately this means that I cannot use any other cable company

At the moment I pay:
    ~£28 x2 a quarter line rental
    £5 month for unmetered dial-up access
    + call charges
    Average monthly bill is ~£35

Andrea is whining at me to change, but I don’t want to loose their relatively cheap internet access.

I have noticed that BT have cut their broadband costs to £30 a month + £85 for the kit (Alcatel Speed Touch modem). I am unsure exactly what I will get for my money. BT claim that the max speed is '500' which doesn't help me much...

Is BT my only option?

Paddy
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

They probably meant 0.5 mbits...

The Alcatel modem has a max of 8mbits down and 1.5mbits up!

(Yeah, useless info but I can't help me )
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

You brits have quite a hefty price on your broadband haven't you.

Comment

Hmm.... I cant even spell ADSL.

That's not good!
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
          Hmm.... I cant even spell ADSL.

IIRC, you can get any ADSL provider, as long as your local exchange is ready.

Mondeo Man.
          FT.

Comment

I am within 5miles according the the website, but then NTL's site claims that I can get digital so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

I'll look into getting hold of a second hand modem. I think £85 is a lot to ask... Should any modem work on thier exchange?

Funky Fiat Boy
            Last edited by Paddy; 12 April 2002, 09:11.

Comment

I am within 5miles according the the website
              for ADSL you should be within a 5.5km radius of the exchange.
              you also have to hope that your bt line goes directly to that exchange & not follow a scenic route to it.
              for value, suggest you look at pipex which is offering the service for £23/month.
              don't forget you'll still need a bt line & pay rental for it!

btw if you're interested, I've got an unused alcatel usb modem which I could sell. lmk
              Last edited by ayoub_ibrahim; 13 April 2002, 03:30.

Comment

I've just got pipex installed
                No setup charges
                line splitter £9
                Asus Router £140
                dlink switch £50
                net card £7
                Current line charges £30 soon to be £23

Turn around in 6 days.

No problems

I've got more than 1 pc so the ethernet option was better than usb for me.

And for those tho remember the 60s its alsd

breezer
                Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
                  I am within 5miles according the the website, but then NTL's site claims that I can get digital so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

I'll look into getting hold of a second hand modem. I think £85 is a lot to ask... Should any modem work on thier exchange?

Funky Fiat Boy
                  Hello Paddy
                  The £85 pounds includes the USB modem as well as the various line splitters etc. To be honest, for that price, if you can get ADSL then go for it. I have tried 3 times to get ADSL and failed every time because my signals travelled the *scenic* route. The real pisser is that my nearest suitable exchange is only 2 km from where I live but all the houses in my estate are routed to one that's 5.9 km away

As an aside, NTL provide the cable services into my home but so far have refused to provide Cable DSl in the MK area. Knowing that I was too far from an exchange BT sent me a letter offering to install Satellite dsl for a measly sum of £800 with a £60 monthly charge.

Regards MD
                  Interests include:
                  Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Paddy, pop over to www.adslguide.org , they have a database of ISP's who provide ADSL services, news and tips to answer all your questions plus some reviews of ADSL hardware just for good measure
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                    X