In vs. Out - Let the flames begin !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In vs. Out - Let the flames begin !

GETTING STARTED Life is short and spending most of it in the rat race, working in a job that you hate, with people who you don’t love is nothing short of tragic. We Have The Way Out and we are going to show you how to find it yourself. Rob Dyer Hello! I am Rob […]

vs.

And just for general information:
    Longest uptimes
    Most requested

Unix/linux sucks!

Windows sucks!

There, I covered both bases...

Comment

Hehe,

Wait for Gurm...

Comment

*shrug*

Unix has its place, as does Linux.

What I find to be more than a little irritating is that the Lusers don't realize that they are using the same "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt" tactics that they accuse MS of using.

"Those studies are misleading".

Entirely possible. However, any study which shows that "Linux rulez!" is probably misleading as well. My own experience is that they are about evenly matched in certain areas, and that there are other areas where they each excel (Linux has it on raw computational power due to lack of overhead, but Windows of course has lots of applications, is more robust, and does more).

MS is being foolish. But then again, so are the Lusers. I've heard comments one way or the other that are very insulting. But the truth of the matter is that whatever works for you is best.

Sadly, if you have a lacking IT staff, *nix OS'es are not the way to go. Perhaps they run a little more stably (debatable). But if/when they break, your cost to fix them is obscenely high in man-hours. If, however, you can afford to keep several *nix gurus in house at all times, then you are all set.

MS's point is that in this day and age where it isn't uncommon to see a company of 200 people have a 2-man IT staff (one admin and one desktop support), it hardly makes sense to be running a needlessly complex *nix server which you can't afford to fix.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

NUTS, I thought this was going to be about Belly buttons!

Oboy
          Time to make the wafers!
          Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
          jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

What I find to be more than a little irritating is that the Lusers don't realize that they are using the same "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt" tactics that they accuse MS of using.
            Exactly. People claim that they are "open-minded" when they say that "Linux is da only decent OS! Everything else sucks!" Which is <i>precisely</i> what MS says about Windows. Each OS has its advantages and disadvantages over others. Right now, UNIX/Linux systems are not ready for the general consumer who doesn't understand their computer. <br>Back to subject.<br>Before they changed from FreeBSD, the site was running nicely. Then, when they switched to Win2K/IIS, the site got all screwy. Another example of where Unix is a better server. Hotmail runs FreeBSD as well, which MS recently admitted.

Comment

NUTS, I thought this was going to be about Belly buttons!
              ROTFLMAO

Joel
              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

ok

I have an "inney"....definately the one to have...as it leaves room for catching lint

-pickle
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Re: ok

Originally posted by Dilitante1
                  I have an "inney"....definately the one to have...as it leaves room for catching lint

-pickle
                  Props to da man! (whatever that means)

I have an inney too!

Last edited by ZokesPro; 14 April 2002, 10:50.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Bah, forget Linux and Windows... use a mans OS!

Comment

This is a real man's OS:
                      Attached Files
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

same here Oboy!!
                        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Hehe
                          Remember AmigaOS

Comment

Remember it hell, I'm still running it on two systems. Both are Video Toasters.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

MSDOS 5 here!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X