RRG vs G200 Marvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRG vs G200 Marvel

Well when I first put together my system I had a G200 Marvel/V2 SLI combo in my machine. I have since upgraded to a G400MAX and ditched the G200 Marvel/V2 SLi combo. I plan on upgrading to a 1Ghz machine at the end of the year and hopefully the G800 will be out at that time. My question is that I still want a TV out ablitly to play DVDs on my TV and I would like to play around with a little bit with some video editing. What would be the best bet keeping the G400 and getting a RRG or sticking in the Marvel?

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Rough call.

Rumours are that RR-G won't be supported beyond G400, which means that we'll all have to wait to see what capture/edit capabilities G450 and beyond are going to offer. I can't fault this from a corporate level as Matrox must have seen the writing on the wall regarding hardware MJPEG capture. What isn't clear is the level of support that there will be for DV from the Matrox Graphics segment of the company. Personally I can see a large gap appearing in the market for a timespan of maybe 2 years until all amateurs tool up with DV cams, and maybe at last Pinnacle can make some capital out of this with their DC10's.

Sorry, back to your question. If you have an AGP G200 then you don't have any options - your new graphics card will demand AGP and there won't be 2 AGP slots available on the mobo ! IF you have a PCI Marvel (I don't recall if any were made, but they must be like rocking horse shit) then KEEP IT ! I don't believe that any MAX's were made for PCI, which kinda makes your second half of the question irrelevant. However, I do know that G200 (non-marvel) WERE made in PCI versions (got one here racked up in PC2) and if you want to play both hands then this is the model to track down, in conjunction with a G-RR.

Comment

Oops let me clear this one up. I currently have a G400Max AGP in my machine. When I upgrade to a new computer, I'm hoping that Matrox will have its next gen product out (G800 or whatever), so that the G400 can stay in the current machine, but I want to have the abilitly to run DVD out to my TV (which I can currently do with the MAX) but also have the abitily to play around with video and what not. I have a G200 Marvel AGP card, but I believe that the marvel doesn't support TV out for DVD and if it did you run into problems with macrovision copy prodtechion. I figured if I got a Rainbow Runner I would have the same cabitilty as the marvel, but still be able to watch DVDs on my TV. I was also interested in what differances there are between a RRG and a Marvel based G200, performance wise and what not.

Scott

------------------
      Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
      X