Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Astronomy: many "neutron stars" aren't made of neutrons.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astronomy: many "neutron stars" aren't made of neutrons.....

A new orbiting gamma ray telescope shows the temperatures of two test "neutron stars" is too low and their size too small to be made of neutrons.

Astronomers now theorize that they are made of "strange matter"; a mix of up and down and strange quarks which normally cannot exist outside of a hadron (neutron, proton etc.).

How this applies to neutron stars in general remains to be seen. It could well mean that so called neurton stars, aren't.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

A little bit OT, but as your avatar looks starry, as I just now realized, what does it show? A starry sky? A parhelia?

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

erm.. looks like crosshairs to me

Comment

nice find
        Printed that off of cnn.com to read to Becky.
        More later.....
        Easily the most interesting class I took ever took was Astrophysics.
        chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

It's a picture I got from NASA.com.

It shows something called a Panhelon....NO...

Parhandiron....NO....

hmmmm.....

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ahh... this is falling right in my toy theory about neutron stars: that they're essentally just one really, really, really big subatomic particle.

Dr. Mordrid, your avatar shows: an upper tangent arc, parhelia, a faint parhelic circle, and a sun pillar.

Comment

Re: Astronomy: many "neutron stars" aren't made of neutrons.....

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              A new orbiting gamma ray telescope shows the temperatures of two test "neutron stars" is too low and their size too small to be made of neutrons.

Astronomers now theorize that they are made of "strange matter"; a mix of up and down and strange quarks which normally cannot exist outside of a hadron (neutron, proton etc.).

How this applies to neutron stars in general remains to be seen. It could well mean that so called neurton stars, aren't.

Dr. Mordrid
              And how many other times have scientists found out that what they believed was not

Wait untill they find that universal flaw in the periodic system or that "Faster Than Light" velocities is not only posible but quite easy etc etc etc....

Then there will be fun, fun fun.
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

What was that element they discovered not to many years ago... 113 ? (something like that)

by accident two Westinghouse Engineers were testing a new 'tube'. Once energized as they discovered later with aid of a ultra high speed lab camera the field produced allowed this element to exist in it's normal state (size) within the crt of a computer used for monitoring (closest to it). The elements size was larger than the interior of the crt and thus exploded (not implode) once the vacuum was released the element went back to it's bonded size.

Wonder when they'll find Big & Little and In & Out
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

They are not saying that neutron stars are not neutron stars but two stars they thought were neutron stars are not in fact neutron stars but something else

Actually faster than light is possible, anyone remember Not The Boz?

Comment

Faster than light is possible. In fact it should get easier & easier the faster you go.
                    Hard to get there though because of not being able to go at the speed of light.
                    Chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

No no. To quote Prot:

"You misunderstand Mr. Einstein's theory. What he said was NOT that you cannot travel at the speed of light. What he said was that you cannot ACCELERATE to the speed of light."

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Good point.

Originally posted by cjolley
                        Faster than light is possible. In fact it should get easier & easier the faster you go.
                        Hard to get there though because of not being able to go at the speed of light.
                        Chuck
                        Should have said "...not being able to get to the speed......"
                        chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

It’s a misunderstanding!

At the “speed of light” a phase change occurs!

The physical laws change!

(That the time “slows” down is a result of this!

And because “our” understanding of how time “really” works is rather inconclusive it is not certain that it does slow down at all!)

The reason that Einstein said that it was impossible to accelerate to FTL speeds was (and is) that he applied our physical laws and tried to extend them through the “phase” change!

Einstein said that at near Lightspeed the acceleration declines at the same rate as the mass expands ie you don’t get any faster only more massive!!

What he really said was that his theory implied that this would happen!!

His theory did not account for the “phase” change and therefore he got weird results

To give a example:

There is a couple of “gas-laws” that describe how gases works, when applied to the liquid “phase” of the gas they give really crazy results and if you try to extend them into the “frozen” form of that gas they can even imply that the mass is negativ!

But of coarse no one believes that if you freeze water vapour you’ll get “antimatter” because everyone can see for them self with a simple experiment that its not the case!

And because Einstein did not have the Enterprise in his garage he could not test his theory

Besides He himself said that he disliked that his theory was being considered a law

At the moment “science” has decided that FTL is impossible because a incomplete theory (the gas laws was “fixed” so they wouldn’t make scientist go crazy and try to make “antimatter” in their freezers)
                          Last edited by Technoid; 11 April 2002, 16:58.
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

light travels at different speeds in different mediums

the increase in mass is due to the energy being expended to accelerate the object being converted mass...(you know the equation)
                            weird thing is that photons(light) have no detectable mass.

relativistic theory, while everone is not entirely comfortable with it, it does work and is accurate(for what we can measure)

and there are some theorised particles that travel faster than light(but how the $%^ can you generate and detect them)

nutrinos can travel very close the speed of light (but they are nearly massless)
                            Last edited by Marshmallowman; 13 April 2002, 22:02.

Comment

Now what IS interesting is that an experiment was done a few years back to finally test the Einstein-Bohr solid theory (I forget the theory's actual name). The theory runs something like this...

Given: You can know a particle's location or its speed, but not both at the same time. (Thank you, Mr. Heisenberg!)

Given: As particles get colder, they slow down.

So, if we get a gaseous mixture cold enough, we would be able to accurately measure the speed of the particles therein... 'cuz they'd be going awfully slow. The uncertainty principle, however, says that at that point we CANNOT know where they are. The question posed by Einstein et al was "how would we be prevented from knowing where they are?"

The experiment got the mixture colder, and colder, and colder... until suddenly for a splitsecond it became a gelatinous plasma blob, and then fell apart.

There are two things to be inferred from this result. The first is that we were prevented from knowing where the particles were by their being EVERYWHERE all at once... which may or may not be what ACTUALLY happened, but close enough.

The second is that since it only lasted for a splitsecond, we can assume that this is yet another example of an effect which has bothered particle physicists for some time now - that many experiments at this level have different results depending on how you observe them...

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X