Scsi question. Feeling confused!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scsi question. Feeling confused!!!

Right I have just got hold of a Adaptec 29160N scsi card Ultra 160. And Two Segate Cheetah 10000 rpm drives. Havent installed them yet as They only have the LVD connection and none of the normal HDD power connectors. Does this mean I just connect them to the card terminate one and all the power comes from the PCI bus. Because it seems like alot to come from the slot do I need some sort of addition to make it work.

Are you sure they have LVD connectors only, or are they SCA drives?

If they are SCA (hot pluggable), you can buy little adapters that plug into your Hard drive, then you plug your normal SCSI cable, and power cables into the adapter. Saves you having to get a SCA backbone.

Hoe this helps.

Ali

Comment

Ali is right. They are SCA drives. The adaptors to convert them from SCA to LVD will cost ~$20 I believe. (Can't find any links right now)

Comment

Cheers for the help.

Had a look into what SCA is and found out the adapter's cost in uk £45 and i need two of them. Hmmm eBay? Or one of those backbone things.

They are the seagate LC drives and have the 80-pin SCA interface. Also most manfacturers dont support them with the adapters as the drives are mainly sold to OEM's.

Pete

Comment

45 Pounds is stupid! Thats about NZ$150ish, and I have two in my computer. Cost about NZ$30 each!

Try somewhere else.

Or if you want a backbone (which will cost more), the best way to get one is to buy an external SCSI case with one in it.

I dont know if you can buy them sperately (the backbones that is).

Good luck.

Ali

Comment

just make sure the adapters you get are LVD compatible!

Comment

Working...
            X