Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solved the Mandrake samba problem

A friend recommended Komba2 as Konqueror has known problems
    with network browsing. The error messages were red herrings which I was beginning too suspect. Anyway installed this of the cd. set up the password and username and bingo I could see the shares and then could mount them.
    This shows how much further Linux has too go before becoming a desktop replacement.
    All I need is a web browser that displays the pages properly. Now Opera may do that.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Samba isn't a good choice to just "how far Linux has to go." Samba implements SMB to spec, which makes it incompatible with MS's implementation, because MS doesn't follow the spec they published.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It's not just Samba it's half baked wizards, rpms that don't install to the locations described in the readme file, setup instructions that miss steps out or are completly wrong, program files that don't run becuase you've got to be logged on as root however they don't even say access denied it's either nothing at all or command not found. Programs that install and although they'll say they'll create a shortcut on the desktop or menu they don't and the site you've downloaded it from doesn't tell you the name of the excutable so you start a long hunt for the darn thing.
      Sorry until the Linux distros gets that sorted out linux won't stand a chance on the normal desktop.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

kde3?

try kde 3 yet? konqueror is faster and has plenty of bugfixes. and konq in kde2 did not have the best SMB support, as you discovered.
        Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
        Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

Working...
        X