CRT with DVI input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRT with DVI input

I purchased a G550 DualHead DVI recently to use with my CRT's DVI input, but at the time I was unable to get DVI-D working at an acceptable resolution and refresh rate. 1024x768 @ 85Hz is not good enough for a 22" monitor...

I was told that it was a problem with the drivers, and that it would be fixed in the next release. So I switched to a DSUB cable and waited. Two releases later nothing has changed...the monitor tab still disappears as soon as I switch to DVI-D.

Has anybody else experienced this problem or am I the only person on the planet with a CRT that can handle DVI input?

Theres not many monitors that can take a direct dvi. I can think of only one.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

And that one is?
      I'd like to Glide my T-Buffered foor up nVidia's Transformed and Lighted ass...

Comment

iilyama 453 which they seemed to have stopped making pity as it got good reviews.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

NEC MultiSync FP1350X
          NEC MultiSync FP1370

I guess they are rather rare...I thought all new large CRTs would have them because the digital connection is much clearer. I heard that the ATI Radeon 8500 has DVI that can do 1600x1200, but I hate to give up the image quality of the G550...

BTW, does anyone know if the OEM Radeon 8500 will have worse picture quality than the retail version? I bought a Radeon LE that was absolutely horrible at high resolutions, and I would hate to repeat that mistake.

Comment

A question to everybody here: IS there a difference in picture quality between different chip/card makers (Matrox, ATI, various nV's) when using DVI-D? And if so, why? (Sorry, it's a bit off-topic but seems to fit in here)

AZ

[EDIT: fixed a stupid typo]
            Last edited by az; 10 April 2002, 15:36.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Ideally: no
              Theoretically: yes
              Practically: I don't know.

Unfortunately, I've never used another card with DVI-D output. I don't know about picture quality per se, but there is a difference in resolutions and color depths. I don't think DVI-D uses the video card's DAC because there is no need to convert to analog as its a pure digital connection...at least between the computer and the monitor.

The analog (no pun intended) of the DAC for analog output seems to be the TDMS transmitter for digital output. The only specs I know of for a TDMS is the Radeon 8500 which uses a 165 MHz TDMS that allows it to reach 1600x1200 resolution with DVI-D. I do not think there is any direct correlation between the speed of a DAC and the speed of a TDMS; just that they both have some effect on the resolution/refresh rate and perhaps the picture quality (at least for the DAC).

Maybe someone with more technical expertise can fill in the details.

Comment

i would have to say probably not if the card is drawing everything correctly... theoretically of course, cause i have never compared...

the thing is that there is no D->A conversion which is where a lot of image quality has been lost. NVidia cards have been known to get substantial visual improvements by using DVI connectors instead of Analog.

it probably wouldn't fix things such as NVidias notorious gamma issues inside games as that is caused by the core itself... but in a 2d desktop i don't think you would see any difference... in theory...
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Keep in mind that even in digital the video card controls the rendering. So, things like proper filtering and VCQ still come in to play.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

exactly =)
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Hrm

The iilyama 453 isn't high-end enough, and I can't find any info on those two NECs...
                      I'd like to Glide my T-Buffered foor up nVidia's Transformed and Lighted ass...

Comment

Try http://www.necmitsubishi.com, click on the left side for NEC monitors, then select "Non-current products" from the box in the upper-right. You should be able to find the FP1350, FP1350X, and FP1370 by a simple browser "find in this page" command.

Comment

DVI+analog CRTs like the NEC Ambix models will invariably be better served by an analog connection. DVI via a single-link TMDS is limited to a practical max of 1280x1024x75Hz (165MHz), whereas a top-end monitor like the FP1375X can easily do 2048x1536x75Hz (~340MHz) via analog.

Comment

Are you Ashley Saldanha from PowerStrip? Small world, huh?

Comment

Working...
                            X