Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Carmack about Parhelia

My wildest dream come trough...

A while ago (~2 month) I read a message on slashdot.org from John Carmack about graphics card for DOOM3. Unfortunately I lost the link. He spoke about how the 8500 can handle 8 textures in one cycle ? where the GF3/4 had to resort to mutlipass (>2 cycles ?) or something like that. What stroke my mind was the clear statement that we will see THIS YEAR a MULTICHIP solution. I was under the impression that maybe R300 gets something like that with the PCI Bridge solved (something much better than MAXX, remember somebody MAXX??) or a 3dfx-ed NV30 from nVidia perhaps? He got to lengths describing 3dfx is/was the only manufacturer how pioneered successfully multi-chip solutions in the consumer market.

NOW this could be the High-End part from Matrox. Solves the bandwith question vs. price vs. pin count and...

My personal birthday wish list:

Parhelia 1000 Mystique 128MB DDR, 275 Mhz core, 1 core
    (GF4 Ti 4200, 8500LE, Voodoo5500), 8GB/s, 200$

Parhelia 2000 Millennium 128MB DDR, 300 Mhz core, 1 core
    (GF4 Ti 4600, 8500, Voodoo5500), 9GB/s, 300$

Parhelia 4000 Millennium 2*64MB DDR, 300 Mhz core, 2 cores
    (2 * GF4 Ti 4600, 2 * 8500, Voodoo6000), 18Gb/s, 600$

Parhelia 6000 Millennium 2*2*64MB DDR, 300 Mhz core, 2*2 cores
    (4 * GF4 Ti 4600, 4 * 8500, 2*Voodoo6000), 36GB/s, 1200$

I am still using a Voodo5500 everday and minute. 2D and good graphics is Matrox as is 3dfx for 3D. They are both gone. One forever, one with a small hope for coming back.

However if Matrox manages to combine their unchallenged 2D core into Parhelia and ultimately create a 3dfx-like multichip-monster I will be in the store with whatever pocket money is left for.

afaik, no multi chip.
    "Dippadai"

Comment

But, as some have noted before: Why is the codename "Parhelia" a plural form? The word in its basic form is Parhely.
      Edit: Or maybe not... See later in topic
      Last edited by Tempest; 9 April 2002, 14:29.

Comment

Who else will launch a multi-chip this year then?

Comment

According to rumours, nv30 will have a separate T&L chip.

Maybe Julgransfot wasn´t so far off

rubank

Comment

well, there is coming other major players. 3DLabs has experienced with multichip configurations and they have made clear that they are coming back to gamers high end before year ends.

There is another company has made great investigation on dual and even quad chip boards (even get them working, but none of them haven't showed so far.), but because no one really here believes them to able deliver, I will not mention the name, but instead of that, I'll give you a picture and a link...

and a link: The Link

EDIT: What combination... the guy next from Ferrari (which he owns by the way.) and his T-Shirt.

I'll hope that I didn't cause a flame war.
            Last edited by Nappe1; 8 April 2002, 14:19.
            "Dippadai"

Comment

Ahh, what a disappointment Nappe,

I thought you were the guy with the white legs

rubank

Comment

Originally posted by rubank
                Ahh, what a disappointment Nappe,

I thought you were the guy with the white legs

rubank
                LOL! that was good one!

if you ask my opinion, I would like to be on his place, but perhaps not him.
                "Dippadai"

Comment

Nappe, are you referring to the subtle message that can also be seen on page 3, lines 3&4 of this old PDF document

Comment

I thought he sold it?

Didn't he sell his ferrari? It was on ebay a month ago...

Personally I would really like to see SOMETHING from bitboys, I think they have a really good chance to break into the market if they get something going soon. However I'm a bit wary that I've never seen anything from them - no screenshots, demo-vids... only press releases making fairly wild claims.

Compare that to the big M who don't put out the press releases, but do leak the occasional demo-vid

LEM

Comment

I don't believe the Bit and BOys since their first Glaze3D attempt. 2-3 years ago.. ouch.. Maybe Pyramid 3D was the first and last materializing idea.

They had and still may have great ideas solving for a while the inherent problem of immediate renderers. 3dfx failed for the same reason... execution.

3Dlabs.. well patents and copyrights hold by ati and nvidia will likely force 3dlabs go their own way thereby creating gaps and holes for the game developer. The will likely not succeed on their first reenter attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest
                        Nappe, are you referring to the subtle message that can also be seen on page 3, lines 3&4 of this old PDF document
                        well, yes and no... Glaze3D would have had 5 chips (4 x Glaze and unannounced "Thor" Geometry processor.) in premium model, but it never came out. (afaik, reason was heating problems.)

But they really had suprise in case of Avalanche too. So afaik, Matrox next gen will fall only 15% behind of Single Chip Avalanche in memory bandwidth.
                        "Dippadai"

Comment

Originally posted by jwb
                          I don't believe the Bit and BOys since their first Glaze3D attempt. 2-3 years ago.. ouch.. Maybe Pyramid 3D was the first and last materializing idea.

I nowadays just don't care at all what others think. I don't need to right now.

"when there's a will then there's a way." It might not happen soon, but it will.

There isn't nothing wrong with their execution, but with their partners execution: Pyramid3D never came out because of manufacturer, Glaze3D didn't made because of heating problems that manufacturer or Bitboys couldn't predict and Avalanches didn't went to the massproduction because of Manufacturers financial problems. So, if there has been problems with Bitboys executioning, it has been definately the Glaze3D.

Anyways, I don't think we will see anything on stores from them soon, so better is just forget them forawhile. But on reviews I think we will see their cards before year ends.

Originally posted by jwb

3Dlabs.. well patents and copyrights hold by ati and nvidia will likely force 3dlabs go their own way thereby creating gaps and holes for the game developer. The will likely not succeed on their first reenter attempt.
                          well, why not these patents haven't made any problems to SiS, Matrox or PowerVR?

and besides, 3DLabs was bought by Creative, so they must have something that is worth of getting nVidia's angry on them.

NV30 could be multi chip, if it is coming from the guys of old gigapixel. But only time shows that.
                          "Dippadai"

Comment

The singular is parhelion. :P
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Nappe1

... afaik, reason was heating problems ...
                              Yes, I can definitely confirm that ! The chip was too big and had massive heating problems ...
                              Last edited by MK; 8 April 2002, 15:40.
                              <font size="1">
                              Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                              ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
                              Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
                              2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
                              256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
                              Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                              ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
                              Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                              Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
                              Plustek Optic Pro U12B