I need a new motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new motherboard

I have to replace my motherboard, since my MSI K7T266 Pro2 has recently died, and I lost my receipt. I need recommendations for a new home for my AXP 1700+.

Currently the front runner is the Asus A7V333, since it has some nice features (usb2!) and I've always been a big fan of Asus. What else should I be looking at?
    Last edited by agallag; 8 April 2002, 07:32.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

The MSI has a 3 year warranty and since the chipset has not been available for 3 years.....
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I realize that, but as I said, I lost my receipt, and I don't want to go through the hassle of RMAing it. I may send it back eventually and build a new computer out of it, but I want a new board for now.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Consider the ECS K7S5A.

In a beta I'm involved with the SiS 735 chipset in it has so far had higher PCI bus throughput than either the VIA KT266A or the AMD 760. It's also quite stable and VERY inexpensive (the K7S5A runs about $55 online). It supports both PC-133 and DDR266 RAM.

A move up would be the K7S6A, which uses the SiS 745 chipset. This supports both DDR266 and DDR333 memory, but is otherwise similar to the K7S5A.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I'd definitely investigate non-VIA solutions--
          I got my Iwill because all the reviews said stablest VIA board tested---lol, man, I miss my old Irongate.

---e
          Iwill KK266-R
          Athlon Tbird 1GHz AYHJAR oc'd to 1.5 GHz
          128 megs Corsair PC133
          Windows 98 SE
          Matrox G400 MAX DH 32mb
          -----------------------------------

Comment

If you don't want to spend money, get the SiS. If you want more, go directly to a 760MB (AMD's latest revision has USB fixed, I've heard).
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Another vote for the ECS K7S5A.

Comment

If your going to go for a Sis735 I'd recommend a Leadtek 7350KDA. Lot more options for tweaking and has gotten some good reviews. I'm actually thinking about this board for a system I'm building for a friend. He lives on the other side of the country and I don't want via hassles. I presently use a kt7a-raid and a ka7-100. While I love them both they are finicky at times.
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I have to vote for an ASUS A7V333 have this motherboard at work, in one of our test machines!

It's one of the most stable boards we have tested for the SocketA platform

Recomanded!

ASUS QFan, Integrated ATA133 RAID, IEEE-1394 ports, ASUS COP & USB 2.0 is sweet!

Comment

I have use one ECS K7S5A. I wasn't too impressed. It was ok, but I had some compatibility problems with power supplies. Again, tho, this was just one shot with one board.

I've also used a couple Epox 8KHA+. They have been very nice. Very tweakable. $91usd at Newegg.

I also currently have a Shuttle AK31A on my system. The only problem I've had with is it that my board has a noisy PCI bus and I have to run my G400 at AGP1x. Again, this might just be this particular board, I don't know.

My 2 cents.

amish
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

I'm using an ANTEC "True430" 430 watt unit. Solid as a rock and running at the Ultra memory settings.

Also note a post I made last week about PCI bus performance. In a beta I'm involved with the engineers found that the SiS 735/K7S5A combo beat out both the AMD 760 and KT266A in PCI <-> memory throughput.

The SiS735's performance is born out on the MSPro vs. Premiere rendering test page where it more than holds it's own in DDR266 systems;

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 April 2002, 13:56.
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Iwill XP333-R. It is <b>very</b> tweakable and the overclocking is great. Even while overclocked it is highly stable. I know that the ALi MagiK 1 isn't the most ideal chipset. Maybe I should update my sig now...

edit: It should be noted that I just got the board recently, therefore I can't talk about anything long term.

Comment

My 2 K7s5a's refuse to boot properly at 100/133Mhz FSB/RAM - I have to press the reset button and wait a few seconds, sometimes repeatedly, to get a signal to my monitor.

This is with 1 256MB DDR2100 CL2.0 infineon stick - which is not on the official compatibility list (crucials are, though).

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I would recommend the EPoX 8K3A. Very stable here, and perhaps the most tweakable board that's around by now. It can give you VCore up to 2.2Volt without any modification needed, FSBs up to 255MHz and it also has the dividers for PCI/AGP you'll need to actually be able to use those high FSBs.
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

Well, I stuck with my gut instinct, and got the Asus A7V333-R. I'm not using the raid just yet (i may in the future), but the addition of the onboard firewire controller was a nice bonus. It's got USB2 as well, so I'm pretty future proof for a while . Installed like a dream and seems pretty stable so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X