DTS Rulez!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTS Rulez!!!

I think it was Dogbert who asked the question, "which is better, DTS or Dolby Digital?" The answer is simply...DTS RULEZ!!!

I finished off the audio part to my home theater last week and started relistening to a lot of my movies is surround. When comparing the DTS tracks to the Dolby Digital tracks, the DTS was much more clear, crisp, clean, detailed and generally had a better sounding surround mix.

Movies you really notice the difference (at least I did):

Jin-roh Special Edition (don't know if the regular one has the DTS mix) - The DTS mix during the shoot outs make your skin crawl...and the movie is good to

Saving Private Ryan - The DTS and DD DVD's are on seperate packages, but man does the DTS version rock your world.

Gladiator - One of the better DTS mixes.

Pitch Black - I was surprised to see that DTS made it on this disc. When the eclipse hits and all those lovely nasties come flying out of their hole...wonderful.

U-571 - Turn this DTS DVD up and let your skin crawl when the sub is getting depth charged.

And that's all I have to say about that...

Jammrock
    Last edited by Jammrock; 8 April 2002, 06:13.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

SPR is definitely a DTS classic!

I watched Moulin Rouge yesterday though, and that on DTS is great - lots of loud music! (shame Ewan McGregor can't sing though...)

Comment

It wasn´t me asking it but anyway it´s known fact that:

1. DTS takes more space, so DTS DVD usually has less ´special features´in them in order to save some space.

2. Since DTS takes more space, it means there is usually more detail there. The compression scheme in DTS is much less lossy than AC3.

3. Those buggers usually cost more.

Comment

yep, I wish I had a DTS reciever, but Dolby Digital is still very nice, compared to what we had before. I really enjoy it. Especially with my new speakers
        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbert
          It wasn´t me asking it but anyway it´s known fact that:

1. DTS takes more space, so DTS DVD usually has less ´special features´in them in order to save some space.

Now who watches these special features? I've only ever looked at one.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yes DTS really rocks but wait till you hear some uncompressed DTS tracks. You'll be send in another world...

Some movies (just a couple) already have full DTS tracks and beleive me you can hear the difference with the classical half bitrate...

Just in case I was not clear, most movies that have DTS tracks actually use DTS at half the maximum possible bitrate. It means that it is compressed. A few movies have full bitrate DTS tracks, they are not compressed and therefore the sound really kicks major a**
            System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

this thread is right on time for me...

i just got the itch myself a couple of weeks ago to put together a home theater system and give my sister the "old" stuff". went shopping around locally to as question about features and actually view some of the brands on display.

i'm no audiophile so i know next to nothing about "whats' best and why". my criteria generally centers around styling(..visual dynamics), portability and brand name. after mediocre research on my part and the anxiety that was built-up during web research, i ordered my stuff...it will take about 2 weeks to get it.

i jumped in BIG!!!!!!!

KF-60DX100 Grand Wega
              SU-60DX Stand
              DAV-C900 Home Theater
              SLV-R1000 S-VHS

HTS3500 Reference Power Center

this system should be sweet...all componets are SONY

comments welcome...good or bad

cc

Comment

Well, all components are Sony. I'll leave that to stand on its own merit.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

For a consumer HT it should be sufficient. Now if your a nutcase like a few of us MURCers...well...uh...Sony's okay for consumer grade equipment

EDIT: missed the part where he said, already ordered...

Jammrock

Comment

i'm a major novice, but really get hooked on sony styling and quality...this TV is striking to look at...its' LCD, with a user serviceable bulb and a crap load of I/O. i also purchased the additional 4 year warranty.

actually i am planning an upgrade already, after i pay off the stuff i ordered... should take around 12 weeks, i'll be shopping.

yeah!!...i just got notice that the tv and stand will ship tuesday or wednesday.

i am open for recommendations on other name brand stuff. i don't want to pay more than 1400 us for an AV receiver, and i know next to nothing about speakers...i work on electronics and siemans' control systems..so i know things, and i could easily be drawn into this home theater stuff...i like expensive toys anyway.

any ideas or other help is appreciated

cc
                    Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 18 April 2002, 15:00.

Comment

Here we go again The following are simply common audio devices used by MURCers and are not the end-all, be-all of the audio world. I am merely suggesting some stuff that I know other people have and enjoy listening to.

For good AV recievers under $1400, look into Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel (they actually have one now) and Onkyo/Integra (Integra bring the high end Onkyo). Several MURCers use the Denon AV's, because they have lots and lots of cool gadgets and features, and sound very good. The others mostly have Yahmaha, which sounds a bit more musical according to those in the know (never listened to a higher end Yahmaha personally). Others use some Rotel power amps in the mix, but not the AV receivers, afaik.

Speakers...look into B&W, Phase Technologies, Mirage and Jamo (which you may even be able to find in your area).

What it all boils down to is what sounds best to you within your price range. Make sure you bring in 4-6 CD's/DVD's of excellent recording quality which cover the types of music/movies you commonly listen to. Spend a good deal of time listening at the shop. Try and get the shop to let you take some pieces home to audition so you can get a feel for how it will sound in your home. Then get what you like best.

Jammrock

Comment

Sony manufacture the best screens and some of the best DVD/players. Their amp and speakers usualy su** The amp can sometimes be OK, but the speakers are really really bad.

I agree with Jammrock for the brands, maybe you could add Sherwood for the amp (they manufacture for many other high level brands) and Cambridge Audio for the players... OK we could add a lot more but those models come at an affordable price...
                        System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Jammrock, thanks for the tips...i have over 140 dvds' and 200 audioo cds' and it never occured to me to take some with me to the store!

i have seen denon and onkyo locally...i'll go back and pay closer attention.

that dav-c900(..dream system?) is only to get me up and running...the s-vhs and the tv/stand are the "keeper toys" in that first bundle.

my current setup(...which is all low-end sony stuff) has served me well for the last 4 years. i'm going to break it down this weekend and take it out to my sisters house so when the basement is done(..finished) it will have a home there.

cc

Comment

i forgot to ask some questions...

one of the reasons why i'm inclined to sony is because of their "s-link", sometimes it is called "command", which runs between componets...sooooo

do all manufacturers have this??

is this a machine level STANDARD or proprietary sony connection?

i have sonys' av-2000 lcd screen universal remote control, which is kinda dependant on this link, but its' no big deal if i use this remote control or not.

i do want to avoid having a bunch of remotes laying around!!

cc

Comment

Well, the s-link is only used by Sony, it is a proprietary link. If you take elements of different brands, you'll have several remote, one of the solutions is to use a universal remote but they can be expensive...

If you take some Sony hardware, get a very high end amp and try some speaker of other brands with it, that way you shold be able to have a system that sounds good to you (and that's what matters !!!!).

Comment

Working...
                              X