• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now here´s something to look forward to

This could be sweet

<a href="http://www.theinquirer.net/07040202.htm" target="_blank">OSX</a>

rubank

Interesting...but reservations for the source!!!

Comment

Huh

OSX will never run on Non-apple computer (except via emulator)

This is because Apple will never port it. Imagine being in Apple's shoes for a moment. Porting OSX to X86 will:

1) possibly move people from buying Apple machines (which is where apple actually makes money) and getting X86 machines
      2) Apple cannot control the hardware OSX would run on, and cause Apple big long term driver and maintance costs, for something which isn't making a lot of money.

As much as some people dream about it (not me though, OSX=yuk for me) OSX is never leaving apple computers.
      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Ahem...uh...ATi already makes the video cards for most Mac's. nVidia also supplies video cards for higher end Mac's as well. Remember the first Doom III movie/preview? Carmack ran it on a Mac, using a GeForce 3. Unless my lack of sleep is completely screwing up my memory.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
          Ahem...uh...ATi already makes the video cards for most Mac's. nVidia also supplies video cards for higher end Mac's as well. Remember the first Doom III movie/preview? Carmack ran it on a Mac, using a GeForce 3. Unless my lack of sleep is completely screwing up my memory.

Jammrock
          No, you are right, ati and nvidia both support the mac. They just don't make OSX for X86 (or for X86-64).
          80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Re: Huh

Originally posted by rugger
            OSX will never run on Non-apple computer (except via emulator)

This is because Apple will never port it. Imagine being in Apple's shoes for a moment. Porting OSX to X86 will:

1) possibly move people from buying Apple machines (which is where apple actually makes money) and getting X86 machines
            2) Apple cannot control the hardware OSX would run on, and cause Apple big long term driver and maintance costs, for something which isn't making a lot of money.

As much as some people dream about it (not me though, OSX=yuk for me) OSX is never leaving apple computers.
            1. If they Sell it for 300+ $ a piece they will make money....
            (A imac can be found for 600-1000 and it does cost Apple to build a Imaq)

2. Ms has changed its policy with XP and as a result it has a very narrow HW support out of box, Anything that is not supported out of box is considered the user and maker of the particular HW's problem not MS!!!

So I don't dee any reason for Apple to diviate from that (ie make it work on a referens Intel, amd, Via box and then tell everyone that the sysrequiremts are on the backside of the box)
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Except that Apple uses the software to create a need for the hardware. They probably make more on an iMac than they would just selling OS/X. Besides, who would port everything?
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

good point....

All this Mac talks reminds me of "Mr. Mac is 10x faster than any PC"
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I don´t want to call you STUPID !!! or anything but,

Ehm...

Comment

I think if ever happens it will be x86-64
                    that would actually make sense...AMD's hammer's will kick arse

Comment

Working...
                    X